Symbolic computation: Mathematica help

In summary: However, if you expand to second order and take derivatives with respect to x, y and z, then the expression becomes much more complicated. It would be best to consult with a mathematician or computer scientist about this expression.Is G symmetric or off diagonal or sparse in any way? Are the terms real or complex?G is symmetric.
confi999
Hi,
I need to get a simplified equation by setting the determinant of the following expression to zero:
exp(j.omega.dt). - [G]

Here, I is an 18x18 identity matrix and G is an 18x18 matrix that I got by doing some symbolic computation in Mathematica (in fact G is huge).

Can anyone help me with Mathematica code to get the simplified equation from
det| exp(j.omega.dt). - [G] | =0

In the literature people used Maple for the above. I have access to Mathematica and would prefer it. Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Is G numerical or symbolic? If it is symbolic are the terms algebraic or transcendtal or irrational or rational or what? Is G symmetric or off diagonal or sparse in any way? Are the terms real or complex?

In general, this will be a hairy expression if G is symbolic. It should evaluate, but simplifying may be a pain. Generally you will just use FullSimplify and explicitly give any assumptions that are valid. If it is particularly complicated then it may take a long time to simplify it or it may run out of memory. Try to do any simplification on the terms of G first and only then calculate the determinant.

DaleSpam said:
Is G numerical or symbolic? If it is symbolic are the terms algebraic or transcendtal or irrational or rational or what? Is G symmetric or off diagonal or sparse in any way? Are the terms real or complex?

In general, this will be a hairy expression if G is symbolic. It should evaluate, but simplifying may be a pain. Generally you will just use FullSimplify and explicitly give any assumptions that are valid. If it is particularly complicated then it may take a long time to simplify it or it may run out of memory. Try to do any simplification on the terms of G first and only then calculate the determinant.

Hi DaleSpam,
Thanks a lot for replying.

G is symbolic, algebraic and complex. It was obtained from some symbolic computation in Mathematica (at one stage to get G it involves matrix inversion ). Each column of 18x18 matrix G has roughly 9 zeroes, 1 one and rest of the elements (around 8 / 9 on each column) are long algebraic expression. Example of two such elements are copied below - I showed numerator, denominator by placing a long line

i)

( (v4 + 2 c1 c2 v1 (2 + v4) - 2 c1 c2 v1 (v4 Cos[dx kx] + Cos[dy ky] + Cos[dz kz]))
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-1 - 6 c1 c2 v1 + 2 c1 c2 v1 (Cos[dx kx] + Cos[dy ky] + Cos[dz kz])ii)
-((c1 c2 E^(-I dx kx) (-1 + E^(I dx kx)) (-1 + E^(I dy ky)) v1 (-1 + v4))
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(-1 - 6 c1 c2 v1 + 2 c1 c2 v1 (Cos[dx kx] + Cos[dy ky] + Cos[dz kz])))

FullSimplify command is already used before getting the above G.
Any advice. Thank you so much

Last edited:
Well, your expression is inherently hairy. You can do things like changes of variables or changes of coordinate system, e.g. let dx->Cx/kx and v1->V1/(c1 c2). Also, you can do a Series expansion about some particular point of interest. For instance if you expand to first order about dx=dy=dz=0 then expression i) reduces to -v4.

Related to Symbolic computation: Mathematica help

What is symbolic computation?

Symbolic computation is the process of manipulating mathematical expressions symbolically, rather than numerically. This allows for complex calculations and equations to be solved symbolically, providing exact solutions rather than approximations.

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a software program developed by Wolfram Research that specializes in symbolic computation and other mathematical tasks. It is widely used in scientific and engineering fields for its powerful computational capabilities.

How can Mathematica help me with my research?

Mathematica can help with a variety of research tasks, including data analysis, equation solving, and visualization. It also has a vast library of built-in functions and algorithms that can assist with complex calculations and simulations.

Do I need programming experience to use Mathematica?

No, Mathematica has a user-friendly interface that allows for point-and-click interactions. However, having some programming experience can be beneficial for more advanced tasks and customization.

Can Mathematica be used for other purposes besides scientific research?

Yes, Mathematica has applications in many fields, including finance, education, and art. It can be used for tasks such as data analysis, optimization, and creating interactive visualizations.