Switching window in comparators

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary: I'm not sure. Maybe it would make more sense if I could see the schematic?In summary, the switching window is a range of voltages that can be applied to the inputs based on the supply voltages ( -Vs to +Vs) with a ±1.5mV variation from chip to chip. It's used to avoid instability around the zero-crossings due to noise in the input signal.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm looking for a complete definition of the switching window in the context of comparators.

In particular, I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding how hysteresis is implemented in the AD630 (Analog Devices) chip.

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/AD630.pdf

See page 2, in the spec table for the comparator, where the switching window is specced. Also see page 6, under 'Circuit Description', where it says:

This structure is designed so that a differential input voltage greater than 1.5 mV in magnitude
applied to the comparator inputs will completely select one of the switching cells. The sign of this input voltage determines which of the two switching cells is selected.

Does this mean that no switching will occur until the 1.5 mV differential signal is exceeded? In other words, if one input is grounded, and the other input has a stable sine wave, then switching will occur exactly at 1.5 mV above (below) the zero crossing during the increasing (decreasing) half-cycle? Also, this should introduce a phase shift of roughly 10-3 in the output for say, a 1V input signal. Is that right?

And finally, what is the point of this? The only sense I can make out of it is that it avoids instability around the zero-crossings due to noise in the input signal. But this is already taken care of by the recommended hysteresis circuit in (figure 7) page 8. If I understand that part correctly, it makes the output switch at a differential signal of 0.5 mV (above and below zero). Why would they recommend a 0.5 mV hysteresis circuit, when the chip has a built in 1.5 mV "safety window."

I think my understanding of the term 'switching window' is flawed. Does it in fact mean that switching could happen anywhere within the 1.5 mV window beyond zero, with an essentially 100% probability of switching beyond the window, and some non-zero (maybe sigmoidal) probability distribution within it? What other mistakes am I making in my reasoning?

Please be gentle with me - I'm not traditionally trained in electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like the switching window is the range of voltages that can be applied to the inputs based on the supply voltages ( -Vs to +Vs) with a ±1.5mV variation from chip to chip.

"And finally, what is the point of this? The only sense I can make out of it is that it avoids instability around the zero-crossings due to noise in the input signal. But this is already taken care of by the recommended hysteresis circuit in (figure 7) page 8."

As shown it looks like you are correct in it being about 0.5mV but you might want to use the circuit to get a larger hysteresis by changing the resistors. It's just an example.

I bet berkeman will give you a better answer when he reads your post.

Regards

Thanks for replying, dlg.
dlgoff said:
It looks like the switching window is the range of voltages that can be applied to the inputs based on the supply voltages ( -Vs to +Vs) with a ±1.5mV variation from chip to chip.
I don't think I'm following you here. This doesn't seem consistent with the bit I quoted from page 6 or with the line in the spec table that says the window itself is ±1.5mV. Or maybe, I've misunderstood what you're saying.

As shown it looks like you are correct in it being about 0.5mV but you might want to use the circuit to get a larger hysteresis by changing the resistors. It's just an example.
Yes, though in my case, I don't think I will need any more than that - my signal is very clean with noise < 10ppm. But this raises a related question. If I had say, 10 muV (pk-to-pk) noise on my input, then that's a maximum time interval between noise spikes of dT = V(noise)/(slope at V=0) = 10 muV/ (2Vo*pi*f) which is only about 200 ns even at low frequencies (~20Hz). Do comparators even switch that fast? Figure TPC 8 (bottom of page 5) doesn't seem to give me a conclusive answer. I recall that gate charging time in a typical FET is of order 100 ns. So the question is this: Do I even need a hysteresis adjustment if my noise is this low?

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
I bet berkeman will give you a better answer when he reads your post.

I read the post earlier today and looked at the datasheet, but to be honest, I was not understanding the circuit well at all, and gave up trying :blushing: With some more effort I may be able to help, but I've honestly never seen that topology for a "mixer" before, so there would be a learning curve.

The only small thing that I can try to answer (and I'm not sure that this applies to this particular part, since I don't understand it yet), is that the positive feedback around a comparator is not just for handling input noise. Often with comparators, even with good PCB layout, grounding and decoupling, the transient from the output switching is enough to cause a transient in the input circuit, and you can get multiple output buzzing switches from that feedback path. The positive feedback of the external hysteresis is meant to prevent this internal transient feedback from causing output buzzing. Not sure if that helps your questions, Gokul.

Hopefully one of the other EE folks will have seen this topology of doubly-balanced mixer before, and be able to deal with your questions more intuitively. Mostly I've used Gilbert cells in all of the doubly-balanced mixers that I've worked with.

berkeman said:
Often with comparators, even with good PCB layout, grounding and decoupling, the transient from the output switching is enough to cause a transient in the input circuit, and you can get multiple output buzzing switches from that feedback path. The positive feedback of the external hysteresis is meant to prevent this internal transient feedback from causing output buzzing. Not sure if that helps your questions, Gokul.
I believe this is quantified somewhat in the datasheet. I'll think about it a little more. Thanks, berke & dlg.

Related to Switching window in comparators

1. What is a switching window in comparators?

A switching window in comparators refers to the range of input voltages that can be effectively compared by the comparator. It is the difference between the upper and lower threshold voltages of the comparator.

2. How does a comparator switch between inputs?

A comparator switches between inputs by comparing the voltage level of the input signals. It compares the input voltage with a reference voltage and outputs a signal based on whether the input voltage is higher or lower than the reference voltage.

3. What is hysteresis in a comparator?

Hysteresis in a comparator refers to the phenomenon where the output of the comparator changes only when the input voltage crosses a certain threshold in one direction. This helps to prevent rapid switching between the output states when the input voltage is near the threshold.

4. How is a switching window determined in comparators?

The switching window in comparators is determined by the design of the comparator circuit and the reference voltage used. It can also be adjusted by adding external components, such as resistors, to the circuit.

5. What are the applications of switching window in comparators?

The switching window in comparators is important for accurate comparison of signals in various electronic devices, such as sensors, power supplies, and audio equipment. It also helps to reduce noise and improve stability in these systems.