Window Comparator: Understanding the Output Behavior and Common Errors

In summary, the book says that if the input voltage is between the two reference values, the output will be positive.
Alex Hughes
So I've been reading an intro book to electronics and I got to a section about operational amplifiers. It talks about different uses of them and how they can be used as comparators. It then talks about a specific comparator called a window comparator which will output a positive voltage if the input voltage is in between the high and low reference values. Here is the diagram they give:

upload_2018-3-24_13-41-16.png

I understand the theory, but according to this diagram I don't seem to get the values they say I should get. For example, I put the Vref(high) at 5v and the low at 1V with a 3V input. According to the book I should get a positive voltage for Vout. However in the top comparator, The noninverting input (+ side) is at a lower value than the inverting input. According to the book, this means the output should be negative, right? In the bottom comparator, the noninverting input is also lower than the inverting input, once again resulting in a negative output. Since there are two diodes on both sides, this wouldn't allow any of the signal to get through and Vout would be 0. Can somebody explain to me why they say you should get a positive output if the input voltage lies between the two reference values then? Thanks.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-24_13-39-39.png
    upload_2018-3-24_13-39-39.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 609
  • upload_2018-3-24_13-41-1.png
    upload_2018-3-24_13-41-1.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 651
  • upload_2018-3-24_13-41-16.png
    upload_2018-3-24_13-41-16.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 928
Engineering news on Phys.org
Alex Hughes said:
For example, I put the Vref(high) at 5v and the low at 1V with a 3V input.

Have you implemented this either on a breadboard (or something) or using electronics simulator software and in what way i.e. what components you are using and what are the voltages you apply (##V_{cc}, V_{REF}, V_{in}##)?

Is there a requirement what the logic output is? In other words is there a reason that the output needs to be high when the input is within the window? I can't see what your book says. Your circuit will output a high when outside the window and a low when within the window.

Likes berkeman
They explicitly said in the book that if the input voltage lies within both reference values, the output will be positive. You can read it here. Figure 3-12 is the diagram I attached above.
upload_2018-3-24_17-41-45.png

I've caught errors in this book before, is this another one of those errors?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-24_17-41-45.png
    upload_2018-3-24_17-41-45.png
    64 KB · Views: 993
Alex Hughes said:
They explicitly said in the book that if the input voltage lies within both reference values, the output will be positive. You can read it here. Figure 3-12 is the diagram I attached above.
View attachment 222679

I would say.

Likes berkeman
Alex Hughes said:
Can somebody explain to me why they say you should get a positive output if the input voltage lies between the two reference values then? Thanks.
Looks to me also that the output is active low...
Alex Hughes said:
There's a free version of LTSpice that is especially helpful for students. I'd guess that if you simulated this circuit in LTSpice to confirm the hint from @Averagesupernova you would get extra credit... :smile:

Likes dlgoff

Related to Window Comparator: Understanding the Output Behavior and Common Errors

What is a window comparator?

A window comparator is an electronic circuit that compares an input signal to two reference voltages and outputs a digital signal indicating whether the input signal is within the specified window or not. It is commonly used in instrumentation and control systems.

How does a window comparator work?

A window comparator typically consists of an operational amplifier, two reference voltage sources, and a voltage divider network. The input signal is fed to the non-inverting input of the op-amp, while the two reference voltages are fed to the inverting input through the voltage divider. The op-amp compares the two voltages and outputs a high or low signal based on whether the input signal is within the window or not.

What are the advantages of using a window comparator?

Some advantages of using a window comparator include high accuracy, fast response time, and the ability to detect both high and low input signals. It also eliminates the need for complex calculations or programming, making it a simple and cost-effective solution for many applications.

What are the applications of a window comparator?

Window comparators are commonly used in industrial control systems, voltage monitoring circuits, audio and video processing, and in electronic testing and measuring equipment. They are also used in automotive electronics, home automation systems, and in electronic security systems.

What are the limitations of a window comparator?

Some limitations of a window comparator include the need for precise reference voltages, sensitivity to noise and temperature fluctuations, and the inability to accurately measure signals that fall outside of the specified window. Additionally, window comparators are not suitable for applications that require precise analog signal processing.