Sway Frame, Stuck with finding sway factor (Moment Distrubution)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for pinned joints in a sway case beam, specifically the moment for fixed ends such as AB and BA. While the equation for Moment (AB) = 6EI(delta)/Lsquared was provided, the equation for CF was not given. It is assumed that FC = 0 due to no moment at the pin, but this information is necessary for further calculations. The conversation also mentions a proping force of 42.25kN and the use of an arbitrary moment in the example, but notes that this may not be applicable if the lengths and EI's are not equal. The final equation given is 3ei(delta)/L squared for the pin and 0 for the moment.
jmmstr

Homework Statement

I have a sway case beam as in the image below, but do not know the equation for the pinned joints.

We were told Moment (AB) = 6EI(delta)/Lsquared
for fixed ends such as AB and BA but not told the moment equation for CF for example.

I am assuming FC = 0 due to no moment at the pin but I cannot go further with my distribution table before knowing these values.

Edit: I have the proping force of 42.25kN already and everything before this, we were told to use an abitory moment but this was good in the example if all the lengths and EI's were the same.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
For anyone else needing to know this its 3ei(delta)/L squared :) and 0 for the pin.

I understand your frustration with not having all the necessary information to solve the problem at hand. It is important to have all the necessary equations and values in order to accurately analyze and solve a problem.

In this case, it seems like you have been given the moment equation for fixed ends (AB and BA) but not for the pinned joints (CF). It is possible that the pinned joints have a moment of 0, as you have assumed, but it is also important to consider other factors such as the load distribution and geometry of the beam.

I would suggest reaching out to your instructor or colleagues for clarification on the moment equation for pinned joints. Additionally, you can try looking up different methods for solving sway frame problems, as there may be alternative ways to approach this problem.

Remember, as a scientist, it is important to thoroughly understand and question all the information and assumptions given in order to reach an accurate and reliable solution. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Sway Frame, Stuck with finding sway factor (Moment Distrubution)

1. How do you calculate the sway factor for a frame?

The sway factor for a frame is calculated by first determining the degree of freedom at each joint. If a joint has one degree of freedom, it is considered pinned and has a sway factor of 0. If a joint has two degrees of freedom, it is considered a rigid joint and has a sway factor of 1. The sway factor for intermediate joints can be calculated using the formula: S = (n-2)/n where n is the number of members connected to the joint.

2. What is the purpose of finding the sway factor in moment distribution?

The sway factor is used to determine the stiffness of a frame and its resistance to lateral forces. By finding the sway factor, we can more accurately distribute moments in a frame and account for the effects of lateral displacement. This is important in structural analysis and design to ensure the safety and stability of a structure.

3. How do you handle a stuck sway frame in moment distribution?

If a frame is stuck, it means that there is no degree of freedom at one or more joints, resulting in a zero sway factor. In this case, the frame is considered stable and no further calculations are needed. However, if the frame is stuck due to incorrect calculations or assumptions, it is important to review the analysis and make corrections to ensure accurate results.

4. Can the sway factor change during moment distribution?

Yes, the sway factor can change during moment distribution. This can happen if the frame is initially assumed to be pinned or rigid, but further analysis reveals that it is actually partially restrained. In this case, the sway factor would be recalculated for the affected joints and used in the subsequent iterations of moment distribution.

5. How does the sway factor affect the final moment distribution in a frame?

The sway factor affects the final moment distribution by determining the stiffness and flexibility of the frame. A higher sway factor means a more flexible frame, which can result in larger moments being distributed. On the other hand, a lower sway factor means a stiffer frame, resulting in smaller moments being distributed. It is important to consider the sway factor in moment distribution to accurately predict the behavior of a frame under lateral loading.