Swag's question at Yahoo Answers regarding maximizing a quadratic function

In summary, the question is about finding the most economical speed and maximum distance that can be traveled for a given formula. By finding the roots and axis of symmetry of the quadratic function, we can determine that the most economical speed is 37.5 mph and the maximum distance that can be traveled is 46.875 miles.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Problem Solving - Math?

The number of miles M that a certain automobile can travel on one gallon of gas at a speed of v mph is given by the following formula:
M=-(1/30)v^(2)+(5/2)v for 0 < v < 70

a. For the consumption of one gallon of gasoline, find the most economical speed.

b. Find the maximum number of miles that can be driven at the most economical speed.

I've always been bad at beginning these type of problems. I don't really need an answer unless it isn't too much trouble because I'd have something to check my work with. I'm just wondering how to go about beginning the processes of both of these problems.

Here is a link to the question:

Problem Solving - Math? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Swag's question at Yahoo! Ansers regarding maximizing a quadratic function

Hello Swag,

We are given a function $M(v)$ that tells us the number of miles that can be traveled at a speed of $v$, where $0<v<70$ (I assume $v$ is in mph.)

This function is:

$\displaystyle M(v)=-\frac{1}{30}v^2+\frac{5}{2}v$

a.) We may observe that this is a quadratic function, whose graph opens downward. The maximum value of such a quadratic occurs on the axis of symmetry, which will be midway between its roots. Factoring, we find:

$\displaystyle M(v)=\frac{1}{30}\left(v(75-v) \right)$

Now, it is easy to see the roots are:

$v=0,\,75$

and so the axis of symmetry is:

$\displaystyle v=\frac{75}{2}=37.5$

Thus, the most economical speed, that is the speed which maximized the distance that can be traveled, is 37.5 mph.

b.) To find this maximum number of miles, we simply need to evaluate:

$\displaystyle M(37.5)=\frac{1}{30}\left(37.5(75-37.5) \right)=\frac{75^2}{2^2\cdot30}=\frac{375}{8}=46.875$

Hence, the maximum number of miles that may be driven is 46.875.

Related to Swag's question at Yahoo Answers regarding maximizing a quadratic function

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a mathematical function that can be written in the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable. It is a polynomial function of degree 2 and its graph is a parabola.

2. How do you maximize a quadratic function?

To maximize a quadratic function, you need to find the vertex of the parabola. This can be done by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of x^2 and x, respectively. Once you have the x-coordinate of the vertex, substitute it into the function to find the maximum value.

3. What is the significance of maximizing a quadratic function?

Maximizing a quadratic function is useful in many real-world applications, such as finding the maximum profit or revenue for a business, or determining the maximum height or distance of a projectile. It allows us to optimize a situation and make the most out of it.

4. Can a quadratic function have a maximum and minimum value?

Yes, a quadratic function can have both a maximum and minimum value. The maximum value occurs when the parabola opens downwards, and the minimum value occurs when the parabola opens upwards.

5. Are there any other ways to maximize a quadratic function?

Yes, there are other methods such as using calculus, completing the square, or graphing the function and visually determining the maximum value. However, the formula x = -b/2a is the most efficient and straightforward method.