Lacey's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a quadratic equation

In summary, to solve the quadratic equation -3x^2-x-5=0, we can use the discriminant b^2-4ac to determine the number of solutions, which in this case is two complex conjugate roots. The quadratic formula can then be used to find the roots, which are (-1+/- i√59)/6.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Solve the quadratic equation?

Consider the following quadratic equation -3x^2-x-5=0

Use the discriminant b^2-4ac to determine the number of solutions of the quadratic equation

Solve using the quadratic equation usinf the formula y= (-b +/- √b^2-4ac) / 2a

Here is a link to the question:

Solve the quadratic equation? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Lacey,

The first thing I would do is multiply through by -1, just to get rid of all those negative signs, as this will not change the value of the discriminant and roots:

\(\displaystyle 3x^2+x+5=0\)

Now, we identify:

\(\displaystyle a=3,\,b=1,\,c=5\)

and the discriminant is:

\(\displaystyle \Delta=b^2-4ac=(1)^2-4(3)(5)=1-60=-59<0\)

Since the discriminant is negative, we know we will have two, complex conjugate roots.

Using the quadratic formula, we find that these roots are:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{-59}}{2(3)}=\frac{-1\pm i\sqrt{59}}{6}\)

To Lacey and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other such questions in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f2/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Lacey's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a quadratic equation

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It represents a parabola when graphed and can have two solutions, one solution, or no real solutions depending on the values of a, b, and c.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving quadratic equations, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The most commonly used method is the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Simply plug in the values of a, b, and c into the formula and solve for x.

3. Can all quadratic equations be solved?

No, some quadratic equations have no real solutions. This occurs when the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, is negative. In these cases, the solutions are complex numbers.

4. What is the purpose of solving a quadratic equation?

The main purpose of solving a quadratic equation is to find the values of x that make the equation true. This can be helpful in solving real-world problems or in graphing the equation.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a quadratic equation?

Yes, many calculators have a quadratic formula function or can solve quadratic equations. However, it is still important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving quadratic equations by hand.