Surviving a classroom math class? (As opposed to an online one)

In summary, for someone who is not as fast at higher maths, it is recommended to attend lectures, pay attention and take notes, then review the material and practice problems afterwards. It may also be helpful to preview upcoming material and find study partners. Learning trigonometry ratios and solving right triangle problems can also be beneficial. Ultimately, hard work and practice are key to succeeding in a math class.
Tyrion101
I'm about to take my first classroom math course and am kind of nervous about it. I'm good enough at math but very slow, this is why I have typically done online maths till now. I could take a week to do something I didn't comprehend. What tips can you guys give someone who is not quite as fast at the higher maths as some of you brighter folks? Edit: it's college trigonometry.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry too much about your speed, I also learn at a slower pace than some, but as you will probably find, you're not alone.

Turn up to your lectures, pay attention and make notes. When you get home, open the textbook to the relevant page and work through the derivations making sure you understand the definitions as you go. Then complete some problems on the topic.

If you have time, take a look at next weeks lecture material beforehand, as this will help prevent you from getting lost in the lecture.

There's no great secret to succeeding in a maths class, just some hard work on your end.

Good luck :)

Thanks that sounds like solid advice for any class... Now if I could figure out how to make math not make me want to go pound on things.

Try to find people in the class to study with. If you want to get a head start on it, I would go ahead and learn all of your trig ratios. Also learning how to solve different types of right triangle problems would be beneficial.

First of all, congratulations on taking the initiative to take a classroom math course! This is a great opportunity to not only learn the material, but also to improve your math skills and speed. Here are some tips that may help you succeed in your college trigonometry class:

1. Practice, practice, practice: As with any skill, the more you practice, the better you will become. Set aside time each day to work on math problems and review the material covered in class. This will help you become more familiar with the concepts and improve your speed.

2. Ask questions: Don't be afraid to ask your professor or classmates for help if you don't understand something. It's important to clarify any confusion early on so that it doesn't hinder your progress later on.

3. Take advantage of resources: Many colleges offer tutoring services or have math help centers where you can get additional support outside of class. Utilize these resources to your advantage.

4. Break down problems into smaller steps: If you find yourself struggling with a particular problem, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. This can help you better understand the problem and make it easier to solve.

5. Use visual aids: Trigonometry often involves visual concepts, so using diagrams, graphs, or other visual aids can help you better understand the material.

Remember, everyone learns at their own pace and it's important not to compare yourself to others. Focus on your own progress and don't be discouraged if it takes you longer to grasp certain concepts. With dedication and hard work, you can succeed in your college trigonometry class. Good luck!

Related to Surviving a classroom math class? (As opposed to an online one)

What are the benefits of taking a classroom math class?

The benefits of taking a classroom math class include:

• Face-to-face interaction with the teacher and classmates for better understanding and clarification of concepts
  • Opportunity to ask questions and receive immediate feedback
  • Hands-on learning with physical manipulatives, such as blocks and rulers
  • Developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills through group activities and discussions
  • Improved motivation and accountability through in-person instruction and assignments

How can I prepare for a classroom math class?

To prepare for a classroom math class, you can:

• Review previous class notes and material to ensure you understand the basics
  • Complete any assigned pre-class work or readings
  • Organize your notes and materials before class
  • Come to class with a positive attitude and willingness to participate
  • Ask your teacher for any specific tips or recommendations for success in the class

What resources are available to help me succeed in a classroom math class?

Some resources that can help you succeed in a classroom math class include:

• Tutoring services offered by the school or teacher
  • Online resources such as instructional videos or practice problems
  • Study groups with classmates
  • Office hours with the teacher for extra help and clarification
  • Textbooks and other reference materials

How can I stay engaged and focused during a classroom math class?

To stay engaged and focused during a classroom math class, you can:

• Take thorough notes and actively listen to the teacher
  • Participate in class discussions and activities
  • Ask questions when you don't understand something
  • Use a variety of strategies, such as drawing diagrams or creating flashcards, to keep your mind active
  • Take breaks when needed, but avoid distractions such as using your phone or talking to classmates during class time

What should I do if I am struggling in a classroom math class?

If you are struggling in a classroom math class, you can:

• Speak to your teacher about your concerns and ask for extra help or clarification
  • Utilize available resources such as tutoring or study groups
  • Review and practice material on your own outside of class time
  • Seek additional support from a guidance counselor or academic advisor
  • Set realistic goals and work towards them gradually