Surface tension - liquid rising in capillary tube

In summary, the excess pressure in this problem is equal to 2T/R, with 2T being the surface tension and R being the radius of curvature. The pressure at the boundary between the two liquids is equal to the atmospheric pressure, P0. Inside the tube, the pressure at the bottom is equal to P0 + ρgh, where ρ is the density of the liquid and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Just below the surface, the pressure is equal to P0 - 2T/R, due to the concave meniscus formed by the surface tension. These pressures can be equated at two points, A and B, to find the final solution.
Saitama

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=59131&stc=1&d=1369856718.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I don't have any idea on this. As far as I remember, the usual practice is to equate the excess pressure equal to ##2T/R## (where T is the surface tension and R is the radius of curvature, this may be wrong though) but I don't know how should I calculate the excess pressure here.

At height h below the surface of liquid, is the pressure ##P_o+\rho_1gh## or ##P_o+\rho_2gh##? :confused: (##P_o## is the atmospheric pressure)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• height of column.jpg
    height of column.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think the pressure is:
- at the liquid boundary?
- inside the tube at the bottom?
- inside the tube just below the surface?
The 2T/R formula is correct.

I am still confused.

haruspex said:
- at the liquid boundary?
Atmospheric pressure, ##P_o##?

haruspex said:
- inside the tube at the bottom?
I don't know about this as I said before, is it ##P_o+\rho_1gh## or ##P_o+\rho_2gh##? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Atmospheric pressure, ##P_o##?
No, I meant at the boundary between the two liquids.
I don't know about this as I said before, is it ##P_o+\rho_1gh## or ##P_o+\rho_2gh##? :confused:
If it were different from the pressure at the boundary between the two liquids (which is at the same horizontal height as the bottom of the tube) what would happen?

haruspex said:
No, I meant at the boundary between the two liquids.

Is it any different from ##P_o##? Why? :confused:

haruspex said:
If it were different from the pressure at the boundary between the two liquids (which is at the same horizontal height as the bottom of the tube) what would happen?

I am still clueless. :(

Pranav-Arora said:
Is it any different from ##P_o##? Why? :confused:
Because that boundary is a distance h down from the top of the lighter liquid. So the pressure there is P0+what?
This applies everywhere at that boundary, which includes right next to the lower end of the tube. If the pressure were any different just a fraction away, directly in the lower end of the tube, wouldn't you expect something to flow?

haruspex said:
Because that boundary is a distance h down from the top of the lighter liquid. So the pressure there is P0+what?
##P_o+\rho_2gh##?

In case I am misinterpreting your replies, I will show you by an image what I am thinking.
You ask me the pressure at point A. It is ##P_o+\rho_2gh##. What about the pressure at point B? Is pressure here also equal to ##P_o+\rho_2gh##? Why it can't be ##P_o+\rho_1gh## as the point is height ##h## below the liquid of density ##\rho_1##?
attachment.php?attachmentid=59145&stc=1&d=1369891679.png

Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

Attachments

• two points.png
    two points.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 505
Pranav-Arora said:
You ask me the pressure at point A. It is ##P_o+\rho_2gh##.
That's where you are going wrong. You are forgetting that it will be affected by the surface tension at the liquid/air boundary. This is why I was trying to get you to work from the other end, answering for the pressure at B first. The answer for that cannot be affected by the presence of the heavier liquid.

haruspex said:
That's where you are going wrong. You are forgetting that it will be affected by the surface tension at the liquid/air boundary. This is why I was trying to get you to work from the other end, answering for the pressure at B first. The answer for that cannot be affected by the presence of the heavier liquid.

Thank you haruspex for the explanation. :smile:

Is pressure at A equal to ##P_o+\rho_2gh+\frac{2T}{R}##? And the last step is to equate pressures at A and B?

Hi Pranav...

The pressure at A will be [itex]P_o+\rho_2gh-\frac{2T}{R}[/itex].

The pressure just below the top of capillary at the air liquid interface will be [itex]P_o-\frac{2T}{R}[/itex].
The pressure at height h below , i.e point A will be [itex]P_o+\rho_2gh-\frac{2T}{R}[/itex].

Now equate this pressure with that at point B and you get the answer .

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Pranav...

The pressure at A will be [itex]P_o+\rho_2gh-\frac{2T}{R}[/itex].

The pressure just below the top of capillary at the air liquid interface will be [itex]P_o-\frac{2T}{R}[/itex].
The pressure at height h below , i.e point A will be [itex]P_o+\rho_2gh-\frac{2T}{R}[/itex].

Now equate this pressure with that at point B and you get the answer .

How do you get the minus sign there? :confused:

The shape of the liquid meniscus will be concave :smile: .The excess pressure 2T/R is always on the concave side of the meniscus.The pressure just above the air liquid interface is P0 .Hence,pressure just below the air liquid interface will be P0 - 2T/R .

Tanya Sharma said:
The excess pressure 2T/R is always on the concave side of the meniscus.

Sorry, this is a dumb question but what does this statement mean? :confused:

Whenever you place a capillary in a liquid ,the liquid surface will either have a concave or a convex surface depending on the intermolecular forces between the liquid and the surrounding solid .If it has concave surface then the liquid rises.In case it is convex,liquid depresses within the tube .In this case we can see since the denser liquid has risen in the tube,we may infer that the meniscus is concave and the excess pressure is on the concave side i.e above the air liquid interface .

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
To put it in less technical terms, if the surface goes up at the sides it's because surface tension is pulling it up the sides of the tube. This pull is opposing atmospheric pressure from above, so the pressure in the liquid just below it is less than atmospheric.

Likes 2 people
haruspex said:
To put it in less technical terms, if the surface goes up at the sides it's because surface tension is pulling it up the sides of the tube. This pull is opposing atmospheric pressure from above, so the pressure in the liquid just below it is less than atmospheric.

Thank you both for the help. :smile:

Related to Surface tension - liquid rising in capillary tube

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical phenomenon that occurs at the interface between a liquid and a gas or another liquid. It is the result of cohesive forces between the molecules of the liquid, causing it to behave like an elastic film on the surface.

2. How does surface tension cause liquid to rise in a capillary tube?

Surface tension causes the liquid molecules to be more strongly attracted to each other than to the surroundings. This results in a net force that pulls the liquid upward in a capillary tube, against the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the height of liquid rise in a capillary tube?

The height to which a liquid rises in a capillary tube is dependent on several factors, including the surface tension of the liquid, the diameter of the tube, and the angle of contact between the liquid and the tube walls.

4. What is the relationship between surface tension and the angle of contact?

The angle of contact is the angle at which the liquid meets the surface of the tube. The higher the surface tension of a liquid, the smaller the angle of contact will be, resulting in a greater rise of liquid in a capillary tube.

5. What are some real-life applications of surface tension and liquid rising in capillary tubes?

Surface tension and liquid rise in capillary tubes are important factors in many natural phenomena, such as the movement of water through plants and the formation of droplets. They also have practical applications in science and technology, such as in inkjet printers, blood tests, and microfluidic devices.