Surface tension and capillary tube

In summary, the surface tension force at the top meniscus is equal to the surface tension value multiplied by the length of the meniscus, and it is directed upwards due to the contact angle of water being zero. The surface tension force at the lower meniscus is more complicated, as the water forms a spherical cap, but can be approximated by treating the water surface as a spherical cap with a nonzero contact angle. The relevant component of the force is the one supporting the weight of the water in the tube, which can be deduced using the given information and the relationship between theta, the radius of the tube, and the radius of curvature of the cap.
Rugile

Homework Statement

A capillary tube of radius r = 0.3mm is filled with water. A water droplet is hanging on the bottom of the tube, as shown in the picture. The water level is h = 5.2cm. Estimate the radius of curvature of the droplet R. The coefficient of surface tension of water is σ = 7*10-2 N/m.

Homework Equations

[itex]F = \delta L[/itex]
[itex]p = \frac{F}{S} = \rho gh[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If i understand correctly, the surface tension will be [itex] F = \delta L = \delta \frac{2\pi R}{2}=\delta\pi R[/itex]. Now I'm not sure what does the tension has to be equal to? I assumed it might be the force of the pressure of liquid: [itex]F=p*S=\rho ghS=\rho gh\pi r^2[/itex]. Though I'm not quite sure about this solution - I don't really get what is the surface tension equal to, in a general case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rugile said:
[itex]F = \delta L[/itex]
[itex]p = \frac{F}{S} = \rho gh[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If i understand correctly, the surface tension will be [itex] F = \delta L = \delta \frac{2\pi R}{2}=\delta\pi R[/itex]. Now I'm not sure what does the tension has to be equal to? I assumed it might be the force of the pressure of liquid: [itex]F=p*S=\rho ghS=\rho gh\pi r^2[/itex]. Though I'm not quite sure about this solution - I don't really get what is the surface tension equal to, in a general case?
By δ you mean σ, right?
Since you didn't post the diagram, there's something that's not entirely clear. Is the top of the liquid level or is there a meniscus there too? I'll assume it's level, since it says "filled".
Remember that force is a vector. The radius of the drop is greater than the radius of the tube. At some point around the edge of the drop (i.e. where it meets the tube), what is the direction of that force? When you integrate around the drop edge, the direction of the force changes, so there will be some cancellation. What component of the force is relevant?

Oops, sorry...

Screenshot_from_2013_12_18_08_52_48.png

Seems like I'm too absent minded for physics these days..

By δ you mean σ, right?

Yes:)

Remember that force is a vector. The radius of the drop is greater than the radius of the tube. At some point around the edge of the drop (i.e. where it meets the tube), what is the direction of that force? When you integrate around the drop edge, the direction of the force changes, so there will be some cancellation. What component of the force is relevant?

Wait a sec, I'm not sure - what force are we talking about? The force of pressure?

Last edited:
Rugile said:
Wait a sec, I'm not sure - what force are we talking about? The force of pressure?
No, sorry, I mean the force due to surface tension.
There are two menisci. The one at the top is easy. Since the contact angle of water is zero, the surface tension force around that meniscus acts straight upwards, so it's just the surface tension value (a force per unit length) multiplied by the length of the meniscus (interior circumference of tube).
The force from the lower meniscus is more complicated. The meniscus forms a spherical cap. The surface tension force where it meets the end of the tube will be tangential to that cap.
Can you figure out what the net vertical force from it will be?

haruspex said:
There are two menisci. The one at the top is easy. Since the contact angle of water is zero, the surface tension force around that meniscus acts straight upwards, so it's just the surface tension value (a force per unit length) multiplied by the length of the meniscus (interior circumference of tube).

I'm not getting it - what do you mean by 'contact angle of water is zero'? Since we multiply by the interior circumference of tube, the force of surface tension is only where the tube has contact with the meniscus?

The force from the lower meniscus is more complicated. The meniscus forms a spherical cap. The surface tension force where it meets the end of the tube will be tangential to that cap.
Can you figure out what the net vertical force from it will be?

How do you know the direction of the force? :confused:

Rugile said:
I'm not getting it - what do you mean by 'contact angle of water is zero'?
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_angle and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting.
I can't find it stated in either of those places, but when I learned this stuff we were taught to assume that the contact angle for water on clean glass is zero ('perfect wetting').
How do you know the direction of the force?
The direction of the force is tangential to the surface of the liquid. Where the contact angle is zero, that means it will be parallel to the surface, and you can use that at the upper meniscus.
The lower meniscus is actually rather complicated. Since the contact angle should again be zero, the water surface at the edge of the meniscus will be horizontal, but as you come away from the edge it will dip down to form the suspended drop. (You can see this with water dripping slowly from a tap.) But it's a good enough approximation to treat the water surface as a spherical cap having a nonzero contact angle with the base of the glass tube.
So, suppose the water at the edge of the lower meniscus is at angle theta to the horizontal. That means the surface tension force will also be at that angle. For the purpose of supporting the weight of water in the tube, what component of that is relevant?
From that and the given information you can deduce theta.
What is the relationship between theta, the radius of the tube, and the radius of curvature of the cap?

haruspex said:
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_angle and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting.
I can't find it stated in either of those places, but when I learned this stuff we were taught to assume that the contact angle for water on clean glass is zero ('perfect wetting').

The direction of the force is tangential to the surface of the liquid. Where the contact angle is zero, that means it will be parallel to the surface, and you can use that at the upper meniscus.
The lower meniscus is actually rather complicated. Since the contact angle should again be zero, the water surface at the edge of the meniscus will be horizontal, but as you come away from the edge it will dip down to form the suspended drop. (You can see this with water dripping slowly from a tap.) But it's a good enough approximation to treat the water surface as a spherical cap having a nonzero contact angle with the base of the glass tube.
So, suppose the water at the edge of the lower meniscus is at angle theta to the horizontal. That means the surface tension force will also be at that angle. For the purpose of supporting the weight of water in the tube, what component of that is relevant?
From that and the given information you can deduce theta.
What is the relationship between theta, the radius of the tube, and the radius of curvature of the cap?

So we need the vertical component of lowers meniscus' surface tension force [itex]sin \theta = \frac{F_y}{F}; F_y = Fsin \theta[/itex]? And the force itself will be (just like the top meniscus') [itex] F = \sigma L = \sigma 2 \pi r[/itex]?
Also, [itex] Fsin \theta + F = mg[/itex] and then [itex]\sigma 2 \pi r sin \theta + \sigma 2 \pi r = \sigma 2 \pi r(sin \theta + 1) = mg => sin \theta = \frac{mg}{\sigma 2 \pi r} - 1[/itex]. And I also figured that [itex] sin \theta = \frac{r}{R}[/itex].
Is any of this true?

Rugile said:
So we need the vertical component of lowers meniscus' surface tension force [itex]sin \theta = \frac{F_y}{F}; F_y = Fsin \theta[/itex]? And the force itself will be (just like the top meniscus') [itex] F = \sigma L = \sigma 2 \pi r[/itex]?
Also, [itex] Fsin \theta + F = mg[/itex] and then [itex]\sigma 2 \pi r sin \theta + \sigma 2 \pi r = \sigma 2 \pi r(sin \theta + 1) = mg => sin \theta = \frac{mg}{\sigma 2 \pi r} - 1[/itex]. And I also figured that [itex] sin \theta = \frac{r}{R}[/itex].
Is any of this true?
That all looks right to me.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
That all looks right to me.

! Thanks :)

Related to Surface tension and capillary tube

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes liquid molecules to stick together at the surface, creating a "skin" or surface film. It is caused by the unbalanced forces of attraction between liquid molecules at the surface compared to those within the liquid.

How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m) or dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm). It can be measured using a variety of techniques, including the drop weight method, the Du Nouy ring method, and the Wilhelmy plate method.

What is a capillary tube?

A capillary tube is a thin, narrow tube with a small internal diameter. It is often made of glass or plastic and is used to transport small amounts of liquid, often for laboratory experiments. It relies on the principles of surface tension and capillary action to draw liquid up into the tube.

What is capillary action?

Capillary action is the ability of a liquid to flow against gravity in a narrow space, such as a capillary tube. It is caused by the combined forces of surface tension, adhesion (attraction between different molecules), and cohesion (attraction between like molecules).

How is surface tension and capillary tube used in everyday life?

Surface tension and capillary action are used in many everyday applications, such as filling a straw with liquid, drawing ink into a fountain pen, and absorbing liquid in a paper towel. They are also important in nature, allowing plants to transport water from their roots to their leaves and helping insects to walk on water.