Surface integrals - parametrizing a part of a sphere

In summary, the conversation involves finding the area of a portion of a sphere that lies inside a paraboloid, using spherical coordinates. The correct solution is 4π and the error was due to taking the wrong portion of the curve.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Find the area of the part of the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z
that lies inside the paraboloid x^2 + y^2 = z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the intercepts and found that they are z=0 and z=3.
The sphere is centered two units in the z-direction above the origin.

Hence I wanted to switch to spherical coordinates and got:

0≤Θ≤2∏
ρ=2

Now, since we know that the sphere is centered on (0,0,2) we can take find the angle from the Z axis easily.

(∏/3)≤Φ≤∏.

The Surface Area of this portion of the sphere should then become
[itex]\int^{2∏}_{0} \int^{∏}_{∏/3} 4SinΦ dΦdΘ[/itex]
[itex]
\int^{2∏}_{0} \int_{∏/3}_{∏} 4SinΦ dΦdΘ
[/itex]

I get 12∏, which is incorrect. The correct answer is 4∏. Where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That itex thing never works for me either :/

Nevermind I solved it. I was taking the wrong portion of the curve.

Feodalherren said:
[itex]
\int^{2∏}_{0} \int_{∏/3}_{∏} 4SinΦ dΦdΘ
[/itex]

Feodalherren said:
That itex thing never works for me either :/

In the tex, don't use special characters; instead use the tex code for them. Quote this to see how I changed your code.$$
\int_0^{2\pi}\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} 4\sin\theta d\phi d\theta$$

Likes 1 person

Related to Surface integrals - parametrizing a part of a sphere

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area of a surface or the flux of a vector field across a surface. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface.

How do you parametrize a part of a sphere?

To parametrize a part of a sphere, you need to define two parameters, usually denoted as u and v, which determine the position of a point on the surface. These parameters can be expressed in terms of spherical coordinates, such as longitude and latitude, or in terms of Cartesian coordinates.

What is the difference between a surface integral and a regular integral?

The main difference between a surface integral and a regular integral is that a regular integral is used to find the area under a curve in two dimensions, while a surface integral is used to find the area of a surface in three dimensions. Additionally, the limits of integration for a surface integral are determined by the parametrization of the surface, whereas the limits for a regular integral are typically given.

What is the significance of using a part of a sphere in surface integrals?

Using a part of a sphere in surface integrals is significant because it allows us to solve problems involving curved surfaces, which are common in many real-world applications. It also allows us to calculate the flux of a vector field across a curved surface, which has many applications in physics and engineering.

What are some real-world applications of surface integrals on a part of a sphere?

Surface integrals on a part of a sphere have many real-world applications, including calculating the electric field around a charged sphere, finding the flow of a fluid around a curved surface, and determining the surface area of a planet or other celestial body. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and in geographic information systems to map the Earth's surface.