Surface integrals evaluation problem

In summary, LCKurtz's method is to first project the surface onto the yz-plane and use the signed derivative to find the flux.
Toyona10

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫∫F.nds where F=2yi-zj+x^2k and S is the surface of the parabolic cylinder y^2=8x in the first octant bounded by the line y=4, z=6

Homework Equations

We were told that the projection is supposed to be taken in the yz plane but how?? and i have a feeling that i did something wrong with finding n, are we supposed to use y^2=8x for that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Toyona10 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫∫F.nds where F=2yi-zj+x^2k and S is the surface of the parabolic cylinder y^2=8x in the first octant bounded by the line y=4, z=6

Homework Equations

We were told that the projection is supposed to be taken in the yz plane but how?? and i have a feeling that i did something wrong with finding n, are we supposed to use y^2=8x for that?

I would use the parameterization ##\vec R =\langle \frac{y^2}8,y,z\rangle## and use the formula$$
\pm\int_0^4\int_0^6 \vec F \cdot \vec R_y\times \vec R_z\, dydz$$ with the sign chosen depending on whether the direction of ##\vec R_y\times \vec R_z## agrees with the orientation, which you didn't give.

OK, so in other words, you're being asked to find the flux of the field ##\vec F=2y\vec i-z \vec j+x^2\vec k## across the surface S.

First, you should draw the surface and the given 2 planes in the 1st octant so you can better understand the limits and the projection. Projecting the surface S onto the yz-plane will give you an area as shown in the attached figure.

If you use the method as described by LCKurtz, you'll probably find it easier, since it's apparently the standardized method for solving this kind of problem. However, i was taught to use another method, and since it's stuck in my mind, I'm going to use it here and maybe it'll help you to understand better, coupled with whatever method you might already know/use.
$$\phi (x,y,z)=-8x+y^2
\\\nabla \vec \phi=-8\vec i +2y\vec j
\\\hat n =\frac{-8\vec i +2y\vec j}{\sqrt{64+4y^2}}
\\Flux = \int^6_0 \int^4_0 \frac{-8y-yz}{\sqrt{16+y^2}}\,.dydz
$$Solving this double integral should give you the final answer. You could also have projected the surface S onto the xz-plane.

Attachments

• projection.png
    projection.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,286
Last edited:
sharks said:
OK, so in other words, you're being asked to find the flux of the field ##\vec F=2y\vec i-z \vec j+x^2\vec k## across the surface S.

First, you should draw the surface and the given 2 planes in the 1st octant so you can better understand the limits and the projection. Projecting the surface S onto the yz-plane will give you an area as shown in the attached figure.

If you use the method as described by LCKurtz, you'll probably find it easier, since it's apparently the standardized method for solving this kind of problem. However, i was taught to use another method, and since it's stuck in my mind, I'm going to use it here and maybe it'll help you to understand better, coupled with whatever method you might already know/use.
$$\phi (x,y,z)=-8x+y^2
\\\nabla \vec \phi=-8\vec i +2y\vec j
\\\hat n =\frac{-8\vec i +2y\vec j}{\sqrt{64+4y^2}}
\\Flux = \int^6_0 \int^4_0 \frac{-8y-yz}{\sqrt{16+y^2}}\,.dydz
$$Solving this double integral should give you the final answer.

No, it won't give you the correct answer. You have calculated ##\vec F\cdot \hat n## correctly except for not knowing the orientation, but the surface element on the surface is not ##dS=dydz##.

[color="blue]Mod note: deleted full solution[/color]

In the recent past and yet still now, I've struggled to fully grasp and understand the method that you use for this type of problem, LCKurtz. But unfortunately, i haven't found a good set of notes on the matter to rebuild what i know from the ground up, so i always revert back to what i learned in class. I don't quite understand why my lecturer would put us through this apparently unorthodox method, as I've seen the formula that you use more often while researching this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
sharks said:
In the recent past and yet still now, I've struggled to fully grasp and understand the method that you use for this type of problem, LCKurtz. But unfortunately, i haven't found a good set of notes on the matter to rebuild what i know from the ground up, so i always revert back to what i learned in class. I don't quite understand why my lecturer would put us through this apparently unorthodox method, as I've seen the formula that you use more often while researching this topic.

Maybe looking at posts #12 and #13 in this thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=611873

will help you.

Related to Surface integrals evaluation problem

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integration that involves evaluating a function over a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional interval, it integrates over a two-dimensional region on a surface.

2. How is a surface integral evaluated?

A surface integral is evaluated by breaking the surface into smaller, more manageable pieces and approximating the integral over each piece. This is done using a process called "parametrization", where the surface is described in terms of two variables (such as x and y) and then integrated over these variables. The results from each piece are then added together to get the final answer.

3. What is the difference between a surface integral and a line integral?

A surface integral integrates over a two-dimensional surface, while a line integral integrates over a one-dimensional curve. In other words, a surface integral deals with a "surface area" while a line integral deals with a "curve length". Additionally, surface integrals have two variables of integration (such as x and y) while line integrals have only one (such as t).

4. What are some real-life applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include calculating the flow of a fluid through a surface, finding the electric flux passing through a surface, and determining the surface area of curved objects such as spheres or cones.

5. Are there any special techniques for evaluating surface integrals?

Yes, there are various techniques for evaluating surface integrals, such as using Green's Theorem, Stokes' Theorem, or the Divergence Theorem. These techniques can make the evaluation process more efficient and allow for the integration of more complex surfaces. It is important to choose the appropriate technique based on the given surface and function being integrated.