Surface integrals and parametrization

In summary, the xy-plane is defined by the y-axis and a parabola with the equation x=6-y^2, and the surface S is given by the part of the graph for the function h(x,y)=6-x-y^2 that satisfies x>=0 and z>=0. The parametrizations for A and S can be found using the variables x, y, and z, with specific boundaries for each variable. The parametrization for A can be simplified to (x, y, 0) with 0<=x<=6-y^2 and -√6<=y<=√6, while the parametrization for S is (x, y, 6-x-y^2) with
Tala.S
An area A in the xy-plane is defined by the y-axis and by the parabola with the equation
x=6-y^2.

Furthermore a surface S is given by that part of the graph for the function h(x,y)=6-x-y^2 that satisfies x>=0 and z>=0.

I have to parametrisize A and S.

Could this be a parametrization of A :

(6-u^2,u,0) where u = y

?

I find this subject extremely hard to understand so I will appreciate any kind of help.

Physics news on Phys.org
A is two-dimensional. Consequently, it takes two variables to parametrize it. So your parametrization cannot be correct.

Usually, one wants to parametrize in such a way that the parameters' domain is "nice", e.g., a rectangle.

Oh I see

Is r(u,v) = (v*(u^2),u) a possibility?

What are the boundaries for u and v?

-sqrt(6) =< u =< sqrt(6)

I'm not sure about the v : 0 =<v=<6 ?

Tala.S said:
Oh I see

Is r(u,v) = (v*(u^2),u) a possibility?
[itex]x= 6- u^2[/itex], [itex]y= u[/itex] is a parameterization of the bounding curve, not the region. Myself, I would just use (x, y, 0) with [itex]0\le x\le \sqrt{6}[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 6- x^2[/itex], using x and y themselves as parameters.

I hadn't thought about that one.

But I'm curious what would the boundaries for v be in the other parameterization?

Assuming ## y = u ##, ## -\sqrt{6} \le u \le \sqrt {6} ## is OK.

But you still have to have a range for v. It can be arbitrarily taken to be ## 0 \le v \le 1 ##.

Now you have to have ## x = f(u, v) ##. For this you could consider the boundaries: ## x = 0 ## and ## x = 6 - y^2 ##. You could further simplify this by checking out ## f(u, v) = g(u)v ##.

voko said:
Assuming ## y = u ##, ## -\sqrt{6} \le u \le \sqrt {6} ## is OK.

But you still have to have a range for v. It can be arbitrarily taken to be ## 0 \le v \le 1 ##.

Now you have to have ## x = f(u, v) ##. For this you could consider the boundaries: ## x = 0 ## and ## x = 6 - y^2 ##. You could further simplify this by checking out ## f(u, v) = g(u)v ##.

I don't understand why you choose the boundaries for v to be that.

And the last two lines...wasn't x = v(6-u^2) with the boundaries -√6 ≤ u ≤ √6.

I'm a bit confused now :(

Parametrization is always arbitrary. If you have some parametrization X = P(Y), you can also have Y = Q(Z), which gives you parametrization X = R(Z) = P(Q(Z)). Functions P and Q, as well as their domains, are arbitrary. There are infinitely many ways to parametrize.

As I remarked above, one usually wants a parametrization that is "nice" or at least simple in a certain way.

I chose the domain to be rectangular. Why rectangular? No particular reason in this case, but when you need, for example, to integrate something, it might simplify things.

## x = v(6 - u^2) ## is good. No, you did not have it this way earlier.

The explanation was good. Thank you.

I have one question concerning the parametrization of S.

since z=h(x,y) wouldn't a possible parametrization of S be :

r(u,v) = (v(6-u^2), u, 6-(6-u^2)*v-u^2)

?

Seems OK.

Thank you voko.

OK, I can't resist chiming in on this one. For the region A, Halls' idea is best except he has the variables reversed. For A the natural parameterization is ##x=x,\ y=y,\ z = 0## giving ##r(x,y) = \langle x,y,0\rangle,\ 0\le x\le 6-y^2,\ -\sqrt 6\le y\le \sqrt 6##.

For the surface, the natural parameterization would be almost the same, except for ##z##:$$
r(x,y) = \langle x,y, 6-x-y^2\rangle$$with the same limits.

LCKurtz said:
OK, I can't resist chiming in on this one. For the region A, Halls' idea is best except he has the variables reversed. For A the natural parameterization is ##x=x,\ y=y,\ z = 0## giving ##r(x,y) = \langle x,y,0\rangle,\ 0\le x\le 6-y^2,\ -\sqrt 6\le y\le \sqrt 6##.

For the surface, the natural parameterization would be almost the same, except for ##z##:$$
r(x,y) = \langle x,y, 6-x-y^2\rangle$$with the same limits.
But what do you mean with best idea ?

I can see that both parameterizations can work but how is one better than the other ?

Tala.S said:
But what do you mean with best idea ?

I can see that both parameterizations can work but how is one better than the other ?

It is "best" in my opinion because it is simplest and there is no reason to use anything more complicated in this problem. If the domain were, for example, a circle, I would give a different parameterization because of that.

Okay. Thank you :smile:

Related to Surface integrals and parametrization

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the flux (or flow) of a vector field through a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface, similar to how a regular integral involves integrating a function over a one-dimensional interval.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A surface integral is performed over a two-dimensional surface, whereas a regular integral is performed over a one-dimensional interval. Additionally, a surface integral involves a vector field, while a regular integral involves a scalar field.

3. What is the importance of parametrization in surface integrals?

Parametrization is a method of representing a surface using two parameters, typically u and v. This allows for easier calculation of surface integrals, as it breaks down the surface into smaller, simpler pieces that can be integrated over. It also allows for the calculation of more complex surfaces that cannot be described by simple equations.

4. What are some applications of surface integrals and parametrization?

Surface integrals and parametrization have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate the flux of electric and magnetic fields, to find the area of curved surfaces, and to calculate the mass and center of mass of three-dimensional objects. They are also used in computer graphics to create three-dimensional models and in fluid dynamics to calculate fluid flow through surfaces.

5. What are some common challenges when working with surface integrals and parametrization?

One of the main challenges when working with surface integrals and parametrization is selecting an appropriate parametrization for the given surface. This can be difficult, as there are often multiple ways to parametrize a surface. Another challenge is visualizing the surface and understanding the orientation of the surface in relation to the chosen parametrization. Additionally, the calculations involved in surface integrals can be complex and require advanced mathematical techniques.