Surface integral use stokes/divergence/whatever is convenient

In summary, the surface S has an outer normal, and can be written in cylindrical coordinates as z=1-r^2. To find the highest value of z where it still has an actual value (and does not become imaginary), you would need to calculate the volume integral of the paraboloid.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

Consider the closed surface S consisting of the graph [itex] z=1-x^2-y^2 [/itex] with [itex] z \ge 0 [/itex] and also the unit disc in the xy plane. Give this surface an outer normal. Compute: [itex] \int \int_s \mathbf{F} \cdot d \mathbf{S} [/itex]

Homework Equations

Stokes theorem, divergence theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the divergence of F is 5.
So I should calculate [tex] \int \int \int_S 5 dV [/tex]

I'm not really sure where to go with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
That expression already looks a lot simpler then the double integral! ;)

So how to calculate a 3 dimensional integral?
Perhaps you should switch to cylindrical coordinates to make it easier?

So I really just calculate [tex] \int \int \int_S 5 dV [/tex] ?

so.. would it be [tex] 5 \int \int \int r \; dz \; dr \; d \theta [/tex] ?

How do I bound z?

Yes and yes. :)

Your problem statement already gives a lower bound for z.
What is the highest value of z where it still has an actual value (and does not become imaginary)?

oh, 1.
so I get 5 pi ?

Almost.
I get a slightly different result.
Perhaps one of us made a calculation error?

I calculated [tex] 5 \int_0^{2\pi } \int_0^1 \int_0^1 r \; dz \; dr \; d \theta [/tex]

That's not quite right.
The bounds of r depend on z.

Are we integrating over a cylinder with height 1 and radius 1? If we are, we are allowed to use volume formulas. We aren't supposed to actually calculate stuff.

No, it's not a cylinder.

The graph of ##z=1−x^2−y^2## is a paraboloid that extends downward.
You can think of it as a kind of rounded cap of which you need the volume.

Can you convert the equation of that graph to cylindrical coordinates?

z=1-r^2?

ArcanaNoir said:
z=1-r^2?

Yep.
The r in this equation is the upper bound for the r in your integral.

Can you write this upperbound of r as a function of z?

I shouldn't have to. I'm doing something wrong. If I actually calculate an integral I've done it wrong and missed the point here. Perhaps some other theorem would be a better approach?

Seems unlikely.

You would not supposed to be calculating the double integral with the dot product.
That is indeed a lot of work.

But you would need to calculate the volume integral.
Do you have a formula handy for the volume of a paraboloid?

Otherwise, you will have to calculate it.
There is an easier way however if you consider the volume to consist of a number of stacked circle disks.
Each circle disk has volume ##\pi r^2 dz## with ##r^2## being equal to ##1-z##.
This should be easy to integrate.

Okay, I'm going to let this problem go for a while. I'm not getting any of the other problems either, so I'm going to go back to the drawing board and study the theorems some more. thanks for the help so far :)

Related to Surface integral use stokes/divergence/whatever is convenient

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used in vector calculus to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field across a surface. It is a generalization of the concept of a line integral, which calculates the work done by a vector field along a curve.

How is Stokes' theorem used in surface integrals?

Stokes' theorem states that the surface integral of the curl of a vector field over a surface is equal to the line integral of the vector field along the boundary of the surface. In other words, it relates the surface integral to a line integral, making it a useful tool for solving problems involving vector fields in three dimensions.

What is the difference between a surface integral and a line integral?

The main difference between a surface integral and a line integral is the dimensionality of the object being integrated over. A surface integral is performed over a two-dimensional surface, while a line integral is performed over a one-dimensional curve. Additionally, the type of vector field being integrated also differs between the two. A surface integral involves the flux of a vector field, while a line integral involves the work done by a vector field.

How is the divergence theorem used in surface integrals?

The divergence theorem states that the surface integral of the divergence of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. It is a useful tool for converting a surface integral into a volume integral, making it easier to solve certain types of problems involving vector fields.

What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some common examples include calculating the flow of fluids in a pipe, determining the electric flux through a charged surface, and finding the mass of an object with a varying density distribution.