Surface Integral over a Hemisphere (Work check please I end up with zero)

In summary, the rate of flow outward through the hemisphere x^2+y^2+z^2=9, z≥0 is 0 due to the flow being anti-symmetric about the z-axis and the flow through a given point being canceled by the flow through its symmetric point. This is calculated by parameterizing the surface, finding the velocity vector, and integrating over the surface using the surface integral equation.
NastyAccident

Homework Statement

Seawater has density 1025 kg/m^3 and flows in a velocity field v=yi+xj, where x, y, and z are measured in meters and the components of v in meters per second. Find the rate of flow outward through the hemisphere x^2+y^2+z^2=9, z≥0

Homework Equations

Surface integral of F over S is ∫∫ F • dS
In this case,

p * ∫∫s F • n dS

Where n = the cross product between rtheta and rphi.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I parameterized the surface:

[tex]\vec r(\theta,\phi) = \langle 3\sin\phi\cos\theta,3\sin\phi\sin\theta,3\cos\phi \rangle[/tex]
Where 0 < theta < 2pi and 0 < phi < pi/2.

Partial with respect to theta:
[tex]\vec r_{\theta}(\theta,\phi) = \langle -3\sin\phi\sin\theta, 3\sin\phi\cos\theta, 0 \rangle[/tex]

Partial with respect to phi:
[tex]\vec r_{\phi}(\theta,\phi) = \langle 3\cos\phi\cos\theta, 3\cos\phi\sin\theta, -3\sin\phi \rangle[/tex]

Cross:
[tex]\vec r_{\phi}(\theta,\phi) \times r_{\theta}(\theta,\phi) = \langle 9\sin^{2}\phi\cos\theta, 9\sin^{2}\phi\sin\theta, 9\cos\phi\sin\phi \rangle[/tex]

Next, I look at the velocity field and grab the velocity vector:
[tex]\vec v = \langle 3\sin\phi\sin\theta,3\sin\phi\cos\theta,0 \rangle[/tex]

I am now set to integrate:
[tex]\int\int_S \delta\vec v \cdot d\vec S = \int\int_{(\phi,\theta)} \delta\vec v \cdot \vec r_\phi \times \vec r_\theta\ d\phi d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{0} (1025)* \langle 3\sin\phi\sin\theta,3\sin\phi\cos\theta,0 \rangle \cdot \langle 9\sin^{2}\phi\cos\theta, 9\sin^{2}\phi\sin\theta, 9\cos\phi\sin\phi \rangle d\phi d\theta[/tex]

After the dot product I end up with...
27sin^3(phi)cos(theta)sin(theta) + 27sin^3(phi)cos(theta)sin(theta)
which, I simpify to:
54sin^3(phi)cos(theta)sin(theta)

Split the integral in two.
[tex](1025)*54*(\int^{2\pi}_{0} \cos\theta\sin\theta d\theta) (\int^{pi/2}_{0} \sin_^{3}\phi d\phi[/tex]

Trig Identity Substitution:
[tex](1025)*27*(\int^{2\pi}_{0} -1/2\sin2\theta d\theta) (\int^{pi/2}_{0} (1-\cos\phi^{2})\sin\phi d\phi[/tex]

So, I end up with...

[tex]1025*27*((-1/2\cos\theta)^{2\pi}_{0}) ( \cos^{3}\theta/3-\cos\theta)^{\pi/2}_{0})[/tex]

Giving me...
[tex]1025*27*(0) ( \cos^{3}\theta/3-\cos\theta)^{\pi/2}_{0}) = 0[/tex]

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct (and nice work!), the total flow through the hemisphere is 0. The flow is "anti- symmetric" about the z- axis. The flow through a given point, (x, y, z), on the hemisphere is canceled by the flow through (-x, -y, z).

Related to Surface Integral over a Hemisphere (Work check please I end up with zero)

1. What is a surface integral over a hemisphere?

A surface integral over a hemisphere is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the flux of a vector field through a hemisphere-shaped surface. It involves integrating the dot product of the vector field with the normal vector of the surface over the surface.

2. Why is the work check resulting in a value of zero for a surface integral over a hemisphere?

A surface integral over a hemisphere can result in a zero value for the work check if the vector field is perpendicular to the surface or if the vector field and the surface are parallel. This means that the vector field is not actually passing through the surface and therefore, no work is being done.

3. How is a surface integral over a hemisphere different from a regular surface integral?

A surface integral over a hemisphere is different from a regular surface integral because the surface being integrated over is only half of a sphere, rather than a flat surface. This means that the normal vector and the area element used in the integral calculation will be different.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals over a hemisphere?

Surface integrals over a hemisphere have many real-world applications, such as calculating the flux of air through a hemisphere-shaped air filter, determining the heat transfer through a hemisphere-shaped container, or calculating the flow of fluid through a hemisphere-shaped pipe.

5. How can I check my work when calculating a surface integral over a hemisphere?

To check your work when calculating a surface integral over a hemisphere, you can use the divergence theorem. This theorem states that the surface integral over a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field enclosed by the surface. If the two values are equal, then your work is correct.