Surface Integral of a helicoid.

In summary, the problem involves evaluating the double integral \int\int_{S}\sqrt{1+x^2+y^2} dS, where S is the helicoid with vector equation r(u,v) = <u cos(v), u sin(v), v> over the given bounds of 0<u<2 and 0<v<4pi. The attempt at a solution involves replacing the term under the radical with its vector equation counterpart and multiplying it by the cross product of the partial derivatives of r(u,v) with respect to u and v. This results in the integral \int_{0}^{4\pi}\int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{1+u^2}u du dv,
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Evaluate

[itex]\int\int_{S}\sqrt{1+x^2+y^2} dS[/itex]

S is the helicoid with vector equation r(u,v) = <u cos(v), u sin(v), v>

0<u<2, 0<v<4pi

The Attempt at a Solution

If I replace the term under the radical with its vector equation counterpart, and multiply that by the cross product of the partials of r(u,v) with respect to u and v, i get

[itex]\int_{0}^{4\pi}\int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{1+u^2}u du dv[/itex]

From there I can do a u-substitution (ill just call it a ω-sub so as not to confuse) with ω=1+u2, and dω/2 = udu.

When I work this out, I get

[itex]\frac{4\pi}{3}(5\sqrt{5}-1)[/itex]

But according to the software this answer is incorrect. Anyone notice a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
ElijahRockers said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate

[itex]\int\int_{S}\sqrt{1+x^2+y^2} dS[/itex]

S is the helicoid with vector equation r(u,v) = <u cos(v), u sin(v), v>

0<u<2, 0<v<4pi

The Attempt at a Solution

If I replace the term under the radical with its vector equation counterpart, and multiply that by the cross product of the partials of r(u,v) with respect to u and v, i get

[itex]\int_{0}^{4\pi}\int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{1+u^2}u du dv[/itex]

From there I can do a u-substitution (ill just call it a ω-sub so as not to confuse) with ω=1+u2, and dω/2 = udu.

When I work this out, I get

[itex]\frac{4\pi}{3}(5\sqrt{5}-1)[/itex]

But according to the software this answer is incorrect. Anyone notice a mistake?

You seem to have turned dS into ududv. How did you do that?

S is a function of u, and v. The u du comes from the u-substitution.

Sorry
[itex]\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{4\pi}\int_{1}^5 \sqrt{w} dw dv[/itex]

Is the after the u-sub I think.

ElijahRockers said:
S is a function of u, and v. The u du comes from the u-substitution.

Sorry
[itex]\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{4\pi}\int_{1}^5 \sqrt{w} dw dv[/itex]

Is the after the u-sub I think.

I'm asking what you got for dS using the cross product.

Related to Surface Integral of a helicoid.

1. What is a helicoid?

A helicoid is a three-dimensional surface that resembles a spiral staircase. It is formed by rotating a straight line along a fixed axis while also translating it along the same axis.

2. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area of a three-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function over the surface to determine the total amount of the function over that surface.

3. How do you calculate the surface integral of a helicoid?

To calculate the surface integral of a helicoid, you need to use a double integral. This involves calculating the integral of a function over a two-dimensional region on the surface, and then integrating over that region. The exact method for calculating the surface integral will depend on the specific function and region in question.

4. What are some real-world applications of the surface integral of a helicoid?

The surface integral of a helicoid has many practical uses in fields such as engineering and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the surface area of a helical structure, such as a screw or a DNA molecule. It can also be used to determine the flux through a curved surface or to calculate the moment of inertia of a rotating object.

5. Are there any limitations to using the surface integral of a helicoid?

Like any mathematical tool, there are limitations to using the surface integral of a helicoid. One limitation is that it can only be applied to surfaces that can be represented by a double integral. Additionally, the surface must be smooth and well-behaved for the integral to be accurate.