Surface Integral (Integral Setup)

In summary, the conversation discussed how to set up the integral for a given question involving a sphere and a plane. The solution involved solving for phi at the intersection of the two shapes and using this value to determine the limits of integration for the integral. The conversation also touched on the substitution method for obtaining the rest of the integral.
Ronaldo95163

Homework Statement

I'm just required to setup the integral for the question posted below

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So solving for phi @ the intersection of the sphere and the plane z=2:

z = pcos(phi)
2 = 3cos(phi)
phi = arccos(2/3)

so my limits for phi would go from 0 to arccos(2/3)

and my limits for theta would go from 0 to 2pi

for the surface integral dS would become 9sin(phi)

The rest of the integral I can obtain from just substituting x = psin(phi)cos(theta) y = psin(phi)sin(theta) and z = pcos(phi)

What I really want to be sure of is limits of integration.

Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-10-21 05.04.57.png
    Screenshot 2016-10-21 05.04.57.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Ronaldo95163 said:
for the surface integral dS would become 9sin(phi)
I hope you mean ##9 \sin\phi \;
d\theta d\phi## :rolleyes:
The rest of the integral I can obtain from just substituting x = psin(phi)cos(theta) y = psin(phi)sin(theta) and z = pcos(phi)
The latter for the numerator. The denominator is simply 9 -- easy !

Related to Surface Integral (Integral Setup)

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used in multivariable calculus to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field across a surface. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional interval, it integrates over a two-dimensional surface.

How do you set up a surface integral?

To set up a surface integral, you need to determine the limits of integration, the integrand, and the surface over which you are integrating. This can be done by first parameterizing the surface, then finding the unit normal vector, and finally setting up the integral in terms of the parameterization.

What is the difference between a surface integral and a line integral?

A surface integral calculates the flux over a two-dimensional surface, while a line integral calculates the work done by a vector field over a one-dimensional curve. Additionally, the limits of integration and the integrand are different for surface and line integrals.

What are some applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate the electric and magnetic flux through a closed surface, the mass and center of mass of a solid object, and the surface area of a curved surface. They are also used in fluid mechanics to calculate the flux of a fluid across a surface.

How does a surface integral relate to the Divergence Theorem and Stokes' Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem and Stokes' Theorem are two important theorems in multivariable calculus that relate surface integrals to volume integrals and line integrals, respectively. The Divergence Theorem states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. Stokes' Theorem states that the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve is equal to the surface integral of the curl of that vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.