Surface Int. Homework: Compute g = xyz on x^2+y^2+z^2=1 Above z^2=x^2+y^2

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute a surface integral of g = xyz on x^2+y^2+z^2 = 1 above z^2=x^2+y^2. It is determined that the equation z^2= x^2+ y^2 represents a cone below the sphere, and the surface area can be calculated using spherical coordinates with limits of integration of u= \pi/4 and v= 0 to 2\pi.
mit_hacker

Homework Statement

Compute the surface integral:

g = xyz on x^2+y^2+z^2 = 1 above z^2=x^2+y^2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm only doubtful about the parameterization. Under normal circumstances, since x^2+y^2+z^2 = 1 is a sphere, we can write:

r = (SinCos[v])i + (SinSin[v])j + (Cos)k.

However, how do you account for the "above z^2=x^2+y^2."

Do I simply sum the square of the x and y components and write:

r = (SinCos[v])i + (SinSin[v])j + (Sin^2)k.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, of course not! z^2= x^2+ y^2 has nothing to do with the sphere- it is below the sphere!

z^2= x^2+ y^2 is a cone with axis the positive z-axis. Since you are only concerned with the surface area, you would only use that to determine the limits of integration. In spherical (angular) coordinates, x= SinCos[v], y= SinSin[v] and z= Cos. Obviously, x^2+ y^2= Sin^2(u) and z^2= Cos^2(u). The equaton of the cone is just Sin^2(u)= Cos^2(u) which results in (since we are talking about z> 0 here) u= [itex]\pi/4[/itex]. v ([itex]\theta[/itex] in spherical coordinates) goes from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] and u ([itex]\phi[/itex] in spherical coordinates) goes from 0 to [itex]\pi/4[/itex].

Thanks a lot once again

Thanks very much again HallsofIvy!:smile:

Related to Surface Int. Homework: Compute g = xyz on x^2+y^2+z^2=1 Above z^2=x^2+y^2

1. What is the equation for the surface given by x^2+y^2+z^2=1?

The equation for the surface is called a sphere, with center at the origin and radius 1.

2. How do I compute g = xyz on a sphere?

To compute g = xyz on a sphere, you first need to express x, y, and z in terms of a common variable, such as theta or phi. Then, substitute these expressions into the equation g = xyz. Finally, use the equation of the sphere, x^2+y^2+z^2=1, to solve for the remaining variable.

3. What is the meaning of g = xyz on a surface?

The equation g = xyz represents a function that maps points on the surface to a value. In other words, for any point (x,y,z) on the surface, g(x,y,z) will give a specific value. This function can be used to define properties of the surface, such as curvature or slope, at a given point.

4. What is the significance of setting z^2=x^2+y^2 when computing g = xyz?

Setting z^2=x^2+y^2 essentially means that the surface is a 2-dimensional curve in 3-dimensional space. This allows us to use parametric equations (expressing x,y,z in terms of a common variable) to compute g = xyz on the surface.

5. Can g = xyz be computed on any surface?

Yes, g = xyz can be computed on any surface that is defined by an equation relating x, y, and z. However, the specific method for computing it may vary depending on the surface's shape and equation.