Surface defined by vector product

So if I'm right, I should state that the locus of the point (r) is an arc of a circle (radius = |r|) in the plane which is perpendicular to u, with its centre at the origin, which is the intersection point of r and u. The arc is defined by the angle arccos m, where m is the angle from the positive x-axis to the vector r. I'm sorry, I have no clue how to type in the symbols you use in the forum. :uhh:In summary, the given equation, {\bf r} \cdot {\bf u} = m |{\bf r}|, where -1 \le m \le 1, describes a cone
bigevil

Homework Statement

Identify the following surface. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I believe I am on the right track, appreciate if anyone can check this for me.

[tex]{\bf r} \cdot {\bf u} = m |{\bf r}| , -1 \le {\bf m} \le 1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

Nothing really.

The Attempt at a Solution

Split cases. For m=0, [tex]{\bf r} \cdot {\bf u} = {\bf 0} [/tex], the locus of which is the origin.

For m = 1, [tex]{\bf r} \cdot {\bf u} = |{\bf r}| [/tex]. The equation describes a plane (whose normal vector is u) distance [tex]|{\bf r}|[/tex] from the origin. For m = -1, the equation describes a plane an equal distance from the origin and in the opposite direction. The locus described is any vector whose projection on the plane is [tex]|{\bf r}|[/tex] from the origin, forming the locus of a circle.

I'm already about halfway there I think. As the values of m are continuous, the surface so generated is a cone with the axis parallel to u. But I also need to define the semi-parallel angle.

4. More attempt

[tex]{\bf \hat{r}} \cdot {\bf u} = m[/tex], and [tex]{\bf \hat r} = 1[/tex] Therefore, [tex]cos\theta = m[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
bigevil said:
Identify the following surface. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I believe I am on the right track, appreciate if anyone can check this for me.

[tex]{\bf r} \cdot {\bf u} = m |{\bf r}| , -1 \le {\bf m} \le 1 [/tex]

4. More attempt

[tex]{\bf \hat{r}} \cdot {\bf u} = m[/tex], and [tex]{\bf \hat r} = 1[/tex] Therefore, [tex]cos\theta = m[/tex]?

Hi bigevil! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)

Your original attempt is completely wrong … but I think you've worked that out.

Your "More attempt" is on the right lines - cosθ is definitely the important factor. :smile:

Just write out the defining equation … r.u = |r| times …? and then bung that into the original equation. :wink:

Oh dear, that's bad. So my answer is right but the working is completely wrong? I'm even more lost than I thought now...

Or maybe what I should have done is to describe the vector product as [tex]
{\bf \hat{r}} \cdot {\bf u} = m
[/tex] all along, and save myself all the trouble. I sort of know what is going on, I just don't know how to put it down in 'proper working'.

I forgot to state my (attempted) answer, which is a cone (hourglass) along the z-axis, passing thru the origin (when m=0), with semi-parallel angle of [tex]arccos m[/tex]. Did I get it right? From what I gather, the answer is wrong, but the semi-parallel angle is correct. Or is my answer correct and the reasoning absolutely wrong?

Hi bigevil! :smile:
bigevil said:
I forgot to state my (attempted) answer, which is a cone (hourglass) along the z-axis, passing thru the origin (when m=0), with semi-parallel angle of [tex]arccos m[/tex]. Did I get it right? From what I gather, the answer is wrong, but the semi-parallel angle is correct. Or is my answer correct and the reasoning absolutely wrong?

Yes, if |u| = 1, a half-cone (not a full one) of semi-angle arccos(m) is right! :biggrin:

hmm … I hadn't noticed before, that you'd said that in the middle of your first post:
As the values of m are continuous, the surface so generated is a cone with the axis parallel to u.
… I'd stopped when I saw your solutions for m = ±1 were wrong. :redface:
Or maybe what I should have done is to describe the vector product as [tex]
{\bf \hat{r}} \cdot {\bf u} = m
[/tex] all along, and save myself all the trouble. I sort of know what is going on, I just don't know how to put it down in 'proper working'.

In 'proper working', you need to start with the definition, and then put that definition in the equation:

r.u = |r| cosθ = m|r|,

so, dividing by |r|,

cosθ = m. :smile:

Fior one thing you should do a better job of defining your terms! Is [itex]\bf{r}[/itex] the position vector? Is [itex]\bf{u}[/itex] a given constant vector? If so then "[itex]\bf{r}\cdot\bf{u}= 0[/itex] does not say that [itex]\bf{r}[/itex] is the zero vector: it says only that [itex]\bf{r}[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\bf{u}[/itex], and gives a plane.

You can write [itex]\bf{r}\cdot\bf{u}= |u||r|cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\br{r}[/itex] and [itex]\bf{u}[/itex] (and so depends on [itex]\bf{r}[/itex]). Then the equation becomes [itex]|u||r|cos(\theta)= m|r|[/itex] so that [itex]|u|cos(\theta)= m[/itex] that says that [itex]\theta[/itex] is in fact a constant: the angle between [itex]\bf{u}[/itex] and [itex]\bf{r}[/itex] is constant and so the surface is a cone with axis along the direction of [itex]\bf{u}[/itex].

I am puzzled by your saying that it is a cone along the z-axis. That would imply that [itex]\bf{u}[/itex] is a vector pointing along the z-axis and I don't believe you said that.

Sorry guys, I'm not a very subtle mathematician. I was doing a few other problems where I simply substituted for Cartesian coordinates, which is where all the things about the z-axis came from. This too isn't very mathematically elegant. So sorry, Tim and Halls.

Yes Halls, r is the position vector, u is a fixed unit vector, (I defined the "origin" as the point where the vectors r and u converge) which clears things up here, [tex]\hat{r} \cdot \hat{u} = m, -1 \le m \le 1[/tex].

Related to Surface defined by vector product

1. What is a surface defined by vector product?

A surface defined by vector product is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to describe a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space. It is created by taking the cross product of two vectors, which results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

2. How is a surface defined by vector product different from a surface defined by scalar equations?

A surface defined by vector product is different from a surface defined by scalar equations because it is based on the cross product of two vectors, while a surface defined by scalar equations is based on mathematical functions that use variables to describe the surface.

3. What are some real-world applications of a surface defined by vector product?

Surfaces defined by vector product have many applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include describing the orientation of a rotating object, calculating the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire, and determining the direction of fluid flow in a pipe.

4. How is a surface defined by vector product represented mathematically?

A surface defined by vector product is represented using a vector equation, which is written as r(u,v) = a + u*b + v*c, where a, b, and c are vectors and u and v are parameters that determine the position on the surface. This equation can also be written in component form as x = x(u,v), y = y(u,v), and z = z(u,v).

5. Can a surface defined by vector product be curved?

Yes, a surface defined by vector product can be curved. This is because the vectors used in the cross product can be oriented in any direction, resulting in a perpendicular vector that can point in any direction, including curved directions. This allows for a wide variety of surface shapes to be described using vector products.