Invariance of direction of vorticity

This is an important result as it allows us to use the mass form to study the behavior of vorticity in a flow.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

The vorticity vector ##\vec{\omega} = \text{curl}\ \vec{v}##, defined as usual by ##\omega^{2}=i_{{\vec{\omega}}}\text{vol}^{3}##, is ##\textit{not}## usually invariant since the flow need not conserve the volume form.

The mass form, ##\rho\ \text{vol}^{3}##, however, ##\textit{is}## conserved.

From ##{\bf{\omega}}^{2}=i_{\vec{\omega} / \rho}\rho \text{vol}^{3}##, it can be shown that the vector ##\vec{\omega}/\rho## should be invariant; that is, ##\mathcal{L}_{\vec{v}+\partial / \partial t} (\omega^{2}/ \rho)=0##.
How can you use ##\mathcal{L}_{\bf{X}}\circ i_{\bf{Y}}-i_{\bf{Y}}\circ\mathcal{L}_{\bf{X}}=i_{[{\bf{X}},{\bf{Y}}]}## to prove that the vector ##\vec{\omega}/\rho## is invariant?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\mathcal{L}_{{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t}}\left(\frac{\omega^{2}}{\rho}\right)##

##= \mathcal{L}_{{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t}}\left(\frac{i_{(\vec{\omega}/\rho)}\ \rho\ \text{vol}^{3}}{\rho}\right)##

##= \frac{1}{\rho}\bigg(\mathcal{L}_{{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t}}\left(i_{(\vec{\omega}/\rho)}\ \rho\ \text{vol}^{3}\right)\bigg)##

##= \frac{1}{\rho}\bigg(i_{(\vec{\omega}/\rho)}\left(\mathcal{L}_{{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t}}\ \rho\ \text{vol}^{3}\right)+i_{[{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t},(\vec{\omega} / \rho)]}\rho\ \text{vol}^{3}\bigg)##

##= \frac{1}{\rho}\bigg(0+i_{[{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t},(\vec{\omega} / \rho)]}\rho\ \text{vol}^{3}\bigg).##

How do you proceed next?

Physics news on Phys.org

Next, we can use the identity ##\mathcal{L}_{\bf{X}}\circ i_{\bf{Y}}-i_{\bf{Y}}\circ\mathcal{L}_{\bf{X}}=i_{[{\bf{X}},{\bf{Y}}]}## to simplify the expression further. We have:

##\frac{1}{\rho}\bigg(i_{[{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t},(\vec{\omega} / \rho)]}\rho\ \text{vol}^{3}\bigg)##

##= \frac{1}{\rho}\bigg(\mathcal{L}_{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t}\circ i_{(\vec{\omega} / \rho)}-i_{(\vec{\omega} / \rho)}\circ\mathcal{L}_{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t}\bigg)(\rho\ \text{vol}^{3})##

##= \frac{1}{\rho}\bigg(i_{(\vec{\omega} / \rho)}\circ\mathcal{L}_{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t}(\rho\ \text{vol}^{3})-i_{(\vec{\omega} / \rho)}\circ\mathcal{L}_{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t}(\rho\ \text{vol}^{3})\bigg)##

##= 0.##

Therefore, we have shown that ##\mathcal{L}_{{\bf{v}+\partial / \partial t}}\left(\frac{\omega^{2}}{\rho}\right) = 0##, which proves that the vector ##\vec{\omega}/\rho## is invariant.

Related to Invariance of direction of vorticity

1. What is the concept of invariance of direction of vorticity?

Invariance of direction of vorticity refers to the phenomenon where the direction of vorticity, or the rotation of fluid particles, remains constant regardless of changes in the frame of reference.

2. How does invariance of direction of vorticity relate to fluid dynamics?

Invariance of direction of vorticity is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that helps to explain the behavior of fluids in different frames of reference. It allows for the prediction and analysis of vorticity in fluid flows.

3. What is the significance of invariance of direction of vorticity in weather forecasting?

Invariance of direction of vorticity is important in weather forecasting because it helps meteorologists predict the movement and intensity of weather systems. Vorticity plays a crucial role in the development of weather patterns and the maintenance of atmospheric circulation.

4. Can invariance of direction of vorticity be violated?

Yes, invariance of direction of vorticity can be violated in certain circumstances, such as in the presence of strong shear forces or in highly turbulent flows. In these cases, the direction of vorticity may change and the principle may no longer hold true.

5. How is invariance of direction of vorticity related to the Coriolis effect?

The Coriolis effect, which is the apparent deflection of objects moving in a rotating frame of reference, is a manifestation of invariance of direction of vorticity. The Coriolis effect is caused by the conservation of angular momentum, which is a consequence of the invariance of vorticity direction.