Surface Area Revolving Around Y-Axis: Confused?

In summary, the problem is finding the surface area generated by revolving the curve y=cube root of x around the y-axis from y=1 to 2. The equation used is S=2pi*g(y)*sqrt(1-(g'(y))^2), where g(y)=y^3 and g'(y)=3y^2. The next step is to set up an integral using the formula dA=2*pi*r*ds, where r is the radius of the circle. After some changes of variables and solving, the correct answer is pi/27(145sqrt(145)-10sqrt(10)).
vipertongn

Homework Statement

I apologize for the mass questions. I am very most confused with this one

surface area generated by revolving around y-axis the curve y=cuberoot(x) from y= 1 to 2.

Homework Equations

S 2pi*g(y) [tex]\sqrt{1-(g'(y))^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i found that g(y)=y3
g'(y)=3y^2

so (g'(y))2=9y4

however, I'm lost at what else to do next...

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm.. as they're circles rotated, imagine unrolling a strip it will have area dA = 2.pi.r.ds where r is the raidius of the circle

figure out the radius & look at setting up an integral...

Last edited:
OH i forgot I was able to get to here

S 2piy3*[tex]\sqrt{1-9y^4}[/tex]

from there i don't know how to take the antiderivative

ok sorry, how how change of variable to u = 1-9y^4

ok sorry, how how change of variable to u = 1-9y^4 ...

ok then i end up getting -pi/18(2/3u^3/2) -->-pi/18(2/31-9y^4^3/2)

yea i end up with an incorrect answer...it should end up as pi/27(145sqrt(145)-10sqrt(10)

never mind i set up the problem wrong i got it now ^^ thanks so much

Last edited:

Related to Surface Area Revolving Around Y-Axis: Confused?

What is surface area revolving around y-axis?

Surface area revolving around y-axis is a mathematical concept that involves finding the total area of a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around the y-axis.

How is surface area revolving around y-axis calculated?

The formula for calculating surface area revolving around y-axis is 2π ∫ f(x)√(1 + (f'(x))^2) dx, where f(x) is the function that describes the two-dimensional shape and f'(x) is the derivative of the function.

What are the common mistakes made when calculating surface area revolving around y-axis?

Some common mistakes when calculating surface area revolving around y-axis include forgetting to square the derivative of the function, not using the correct units for the y-axis, and not integrating the function correctly.

What are the real-life applications of surface area revolving around y-axis?

Surface area revolving around y-axis has many real-life applications, including finding the volume of objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres, as well as calculating the surface area of rotational parts in engineering and architecture.

How can I improve my understanding of surface area revolving around y-axis?

To improve your understanding of surface area revolving around y-axis, you can practice solving different types of problems, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and use visual aids such as diagrams and graphs to better understand the concept.