Surface Area of Revolved Curve: An Intriguing Challenge

In summary, the conversation is about finding the surface area when a curve is revolved around the x-axis. The formula used is 2π∫y√(1+(dx/dy)^2)dy and the limits need to be determined. One person tried setting it up two ways and got complicated integrals, while the other suggests using a different formula and finding the limits independently.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Find the surface area when this curve is revolved around the x ax

x = 1/3(y^2 + 2)^3/2 [1,2]

I set it up both ways and i get two really complicated integrals.

[tex]2 \pi/3 \int_1^2 \sqrt{\frac{y^2+y^4}{(y^2+2)^{2/3}}} dy [/tex]

Yeah I can't figure out how to do this integral, and I am thinking there must be an easier way. The other way, integrating with x, seemed even more complicated If anyone can give me some hints, it'll be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sry i seem to be having trouble getting the latex to work. I'll try fix it, but I am not to good at it so i can't promise anything.

Did you use the correct formula?

I tried part of the problem and it seems the final expression you needed to integrate is quite a simple one!

To find the surface area generated when a curve is rotated completely about the x-axis, you may use this formula...

[tex] 2 \pi \int y \sqrt{1 + (\frac{dx}{dy})^2} dy [/tex]

Please figure out the limits by yourself..

All the best!

thanks alot

Related to Surface Area of Revolved Curve: An Intriguing Challenge

1. What is the surface area of a revolved curve?

The surface area of a revolved curve is the total area of the 3D shape that is created when a 2D curve is rotated around an axis. It includes both the curved surface area and the top and bottom circular bases.

2. How is the surface area of a revolved curve calculated?

The surface area of a revolved curve can be calculated using the formula 2πrh + 2πr², where r is the radius of the curve and h is the height of the curve. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by breaking the curve into small sections, finding the area of each section, and then adding them together.

3. What are some real-world applications of calculating surface area of revolved curves?

The surface area of revolved curves is used in many engineering and design fields, such as architecture, automotive design, and product design. It is also important in manufacturing processes, such as creating molds for rotational parts, and in calculating the amount of paint or coating needed to cover a 3D object.

4. How does the shape of the revolved curve affect its surface area?

The shape of the revolved curve has a significant impact on its surface area. Curves with a larger radius or height will have a larger surface area, while curves with a smaller radius or height will have a smaller surface area. Additionally, curves with more extreme curves or angles will have a larger surface area than smoother curves.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the surface area of revolved curves?

Yes, there are some other methods for calculating the surface area of revolved curves, such as using integration or using computer software programs. However, the formulas and methods mentioned earlier are the most commonly used and provide accurate results.