Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution

In summary, the task is to find the surface area generated when a parabola is rotated around the y-axis. The formula for surface area in this case is S=2\pi\int yds, where y=x^2 and 0\leq x\leq\sqrt{k}. The correct setup for the equation should have the radius of rotation as x, not y. The attempt at a solution involved using the fundamental theorem of calculus, but the result obtained was not correct. The correct solution should involve using x as the variable and integrating over the given range for x.
Ki-nana18

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface generated when you rotate the parabola y=x2 0 less than or equal to x less than or equal to the square root of k, around the y-axis. You should end up with a simple formula in terms of the constant k.

Homework Equations

S=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]yds

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect that the simple formula is the volume of a sphere. I got all the way to applying the fundamental theorem of calculus and so far I have 2pi[((12(square root of k)+3)/(18))^(3/2)-(1/12)]

Physics news on Phys.org
Ki-nana18 said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface generated when you rotate the parabola y=x2 0 less than or equal to x less than or equal to the square root of k, around the y-axis. You should end up with a simple formula in terms of the constant k.

Homework Equations

S=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]yds

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect that the simple formula is the volume of a sphere. I got all the way to applying the fundamental theorem of calculus and so far I have 2pi[((12(square root of k)+3)/(18))^(3/2)-(1/12)]

Your setup is incorrect because the radius of rotation should be x, not y. But I'm curious why you would think the answer for surface area would give a volume? And of a sphere?

Well I figured since I am rotating around the y-axis I would have the equation set up as x=[tex]\sqrt{}y[/tex].

LCKurtz said:
Your setup is incorrect because the radius of rotation should be x, not y. But I'm curious why you would think the answer for surface area would give a volume? And of a sphere?

Ki-nana18 said:
Well I figured since I am rotating around the y-axis I would have the equation set up as x=[tex]\sqrt{}y[/tex].

When you rotate about the y-axis the radius is in the x direction, your equation is given in terms of x, and the natural variable to use is x.

Related to Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution

1. What is a Solid of Revolution?

A Solid of Revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by revolving a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This can create a variety of shapes, such as a cone, cylinder, or sphere.

2. How is the Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution calculated?

The Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution is calculated by finding the area of the two-dimensional shape that is being revolved around the axis, and then using a formula specific to the type of solid being formed. For example, the Surface Area of a cylinder is calculated using the formula 2πrh + 2πr^2, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder.

3. What is the purpose of finding the Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution?

The purpose of finding the Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution is to determine the amount of surface area that is present on the curved surface of the three-dimensional shape. This can be useful in various applications, such as designing packaging or calculating material needed for construction.

4. What are some real-world examples of Solids of Revolution?

Some real-world examples of Solids of Revolution include water towers, traffic cones, and soda cans. These objects are all formed by revolving a two-dimensional shape around an axis, creating a three-dimensional shape with a curved surface.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for calculating the Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution?

Yes, there are some shortcuts or tricks for calculating the Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution. For example, for a cone or pyramid, the Surface Area can be calculated by taking half of the lateral area plus the base area. Additionally, for a sphere, the Surface Area can be calculated using the formula 4πr^2, where r is the radius of the sphere.