Surface Area by rotating a curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the surface area generated by rotating the curve x=(1/3)y^(3/2)-y^(1/2) about the y-axis between 1 and 3. The derivative (x') is calculated and the correct formula for surface area is provided. The integral is then simplified by combining terms and using a quadratic formula to find the square root.
xo.Stardust
1. Find the surface area generated by rotating the curve about the y-axis

2. X=(1/3)Y^(3/2)-Y^(1/2) between 1 and 3

3. x' = (1/2)Y^(1/2) - (1/2)Y^(-1/2)
x'^2 = (y^2-2y+1)/4y

I'm not sure if that derivative is correct or if implicit differentiation is required. I also can't get any further using the surface area formula. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your math is correct; you shouldn't need to use implicit differentiation. Which formula are you using for surface area?

https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/23/2361260-0.png

After substituting my data into the equation I can't simplify it far enough to take the integral

Last edited by a moderator:
The first x in that integral should be a y. :wink:

Combine the 1 with (y^2-2y+1)/4y and try to get the quadratic part into (y + something)2 so you can take its square root.

Bohrok said:
Combine the 1 with (y^2-2y+1)/4y and try to get the quadratic part into (y + something)2 so you can take its square root.

I didn't think to do that, I think I've got it now. Thanks!

Related to Surface Area by rotating a curve

1. What is meant by "Surface Area by rotating a curve"?

Surface area by rotating a curve refers to the method of finding the total area of the surface created when a curve is rotated about an axis. This concept is commonly used in calculus and geometry to calculate the surface area of three-dimensional objects.

2. How is the surface area calculated by rotating a curve?

The surface area is calculated by first finding the circumference of the curve at each point along the axis of rotation. These circumferences are then summed and multiplied by the length of the curve. This calculation gives the surface area of the rotated curve.

3. What is the importance of finding surface area by rotating a curve?

Finding surface area by rotating a curve is important because it allows us to calculate the surface area of complex three-dimensional objects that cannot be easily measured or visualized. This method is also useful in various engineering and scientific applications, such as calculating the surface area of a rotating turbine blade.

4. What are some common curves used in surface area calculations?

Some common curves used in surface area calculations include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. These curves can be rotated about an axis to create a variety of three-dimensional shapes, such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

5. Are there any limitations to using surface area by rotating a curve?

Yes, there are limitations to using surface area by rotating a curve. This method is only applicable for finding the surface area of objects with a rotational symmetry. It also assumes that the object being rotated is a solid with a uniform cross-section along the axis of rotation.