Supremum and Infimum of a subset of R

• Thread starter Rubik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supremum
In summary, to calculate the sup and inf of a subset of real numbers, we need to determine if the set is bounded from above or below. The sup is the smallest upper bound of the set, while the inf is the greatest lower bound. In the case of the set S=(1,7)⋃[8,∞), there is no sup and the inf is 1. For the set {x is an element of R : |3x + 7| > 1}, we need to solve for the ranges of x and determine if there is a lowest number higher than all the x values in that range.
Rubik
I do not understand how to calculate the sup[tex]\Omega[/tex] and inf[tex]\Omega[/tex] of a subset of R. So for example calculating the sup and inf of [tex]\Omega[/tex] = (1,7)U[8,[tex]\infty[/tex]) and the answer is no sup and inf = 1. I do not know how to get these values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let S be a set of real numbers. sup S exists if and only if S is bounded from above, i.e. if there exists a real number M such that for all x in S, x≤M. If this is the case, M is said to be an upper bound of S, and sup S is defined as the least (i.e. smallest) upper bound. (We don't have to prove that sup S exists, because its existence is part of the definition of the real numbers). This means that if M is an upper bound of S, then sup S≤M.

inf S is defined similarly, as the greatest lower bound of S. If S=(1,7)⋃[8,∞), then clearly, S isn't bounded from above, and is bounded from below by any number ≤1. Since inf S is the greatest lower bound of S, this means that 1≤inf S. So now we just need to prove that inf S≤1. This is almost obvious, but let's do it right: For every x>1, there exists a y in S such that y<x. This means that no real number >1 can be a lower bound of S. inf S is a lower bound, so it must be ≤1.

Okay so if I then have the set {x is an element of R : |3x + 7| > 1}

How do I get the sup of this set? Does that mean there is no sup?

Solve |3x + 7| > 1 for the explicit ranges of x. Then see if there is a lowest number higher than all of the x in that range.

Rubik said:
Okay so if I then have the set {x is an element of R : |3x + 7| > 1}

How do I get the sup of this set? Does that mean there is no sup?
I solved your first problem completely. If you want help with more, you need to show us your work so far, and where you're stuck. TylerH told you where you should start.

Related to Supremum and Infimum of a subset of R

1. What is the definition of supremum and infimum?

The supremum of a subset of real numbers is the smallest upper bound of that set, while the infimum is the largest lower bound of the set.

2. How do you find the supremum and infimum of a subset of real numbers?

To find the supremum of a subset of real numbers, you need to find the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set. To find the infimum, you need to find the largest number that is less than or equal to all the numbers in the set.

3. Can a set have multiple supremum or infimum values?

Yes, a set can have multiple supremum or infimum values if the set contains its supremum or infimum value. For example, the set {1, 2, 3} has a supremum of 3 and an infimum of 1, but also has a supremum of 2 and an infimum of 2.

4. Is the supremum and infimum always included in the subset of real numbers?

No, the supremum or infimum may not be included in the subset of real numbers. For example, if the subset is {x | 0 < x < 1}, the supremum is 1 and the infimum is 0, but neither 1 nor 0 is included in the subset.

5. What is the difference between supremum and maximum, and infimum and minimum?

The supremum is the smallest upper bound of a set, while the maximum is the largest number in a set. Similarly, the infimum is the largest lower bound of a set, while the minimum is the smallest number in a set. The supremum or infimum may not be included in the set, while the maximum and minimum must be included in the set.