Suppose in the previous problem m3 balances the see-saw by pulling now

• Thread starter oneshot
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves balancing a see-saw by pulling on one end at an angle of 30° from the horizontal. The first question is solved using a mass of 31.4 kg, while the second question disregards the mass and focuses on finding the torque about the pivot using the horizontal and vertical components of the pulling force. The mass of the person pulling, m3, is ignored as they are standing on the ground and their weight does not act on the see-saw.
oneshot

Homework Statement

Suppose in the previous problem m3
balances the see-saw by pulling now on the end 1.5 m from the ful-crum at an angle of 30° from the horizontal as shown.
What force is necessary for balance?

Homework Equations

See picture for both questions
The first question i got 31.4 kg

second question it added the angle and i don't know what to do with that.

Also I don't understand why does the mass of the seesaw doesn't matter?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• PP.png
    PP.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
oneshot said:

Homework Statement

Suppose in the previous problem m3
balances the see-saw by pulling now on the end 1.5 m from the ful-crum at an angle of 30° from the horizontal as shown.
What force is necessary for balance?

Homework Equations

See picture for both questions
The first question i got 31.4 kg
Yes, looks good
second question it added the angle and i don't know what to do with that.
forget about the mass of the person m3 and just consider a pull force as shown. Find its torque about the pivot by breaking it into its components, then proceed as before.
Also I don't understand why does the mass of the seesaw doesn't matter?
it is assumed that the see saw is uniform and its mass acts at the center (at the pivot), so if you use the pivot as the point about which to sum moments equal 0, does it make a difference?

I actually don't understand how does the breaking component work...
Fx cos 30 + Fy sin 30?

oneshot said:
I actually don't understand how does the breaking component work...
Fx cos 30 + Fy sin 30?
If you denote the pulling force as F, then the horizontal x component is Fcos30 and the vertical y component is Fsin30. The x component does not produce any torque about the pivot, since there is no perpendicular moment arm. Only the y component does produce torque.

PhanthomJay said:
If you denote the pulling force as F, then the horizontal x component is Fcos30 and the vertical y component is Fsin30. The x component does not produce any torque about the pivot, since there is no perpendicular moment arm. Only the y component does produce torque.

oh make sense. but u said ignore m3? why? torque = rF , so the force does not include m3g?

oneshot said:
oh make sense. but u said ignore m3? why? torque = rF , so the force does not include m3g?
The problem isn't worded that good, but presumably, the person called 'm3' is standing on the ground as (s)he pulls, so his or her weight does not act on the seesaw (draw a free body diagram of the seesaw), only the pulling force F acts on it.

PhanthomJay said:
The problem isn't worded that good, but presumably, the person called 'm3' is standing on the ground as (s)he pulls, so his or her weight does not act on the seesaw (draw a free body diagram of the seesaw), only the pulling force F acts on it.

oh ok thanks!

Related to Suppose in the previous problem m3 balances the see-saw by pulling now

1. How did m3 balance the see-saw?

m3 balanced the see-saw by pulling on one side with a force that was equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the combined forces of the other objects on the see-saw.

2. What does it mean for m3 to pull on the see-saw?

When m3 pulls on the see-saw, it exerts a force on the see-saw in a specific direction. This force can be measured in units of Newtons (N).

3. What were the forces acting on the see-saw before m3 pulled?

Before m3 pulled, there were forces acting on the see-saw from the other objects present. These forces may have been unbalanced, causing the see-saw to be tilted in one direction.

4. How does m3's force affect the motion of the see-saw?

m3's force on the see-saw causes an equal and opposite reaction force on m3. This reaction force may cause the see-saw to move in the opposite direction, depending on the mass and position of the other objects on the see-saw.

5. Can m3's force balance the see-saw on its own?

It is possible for m3's force to balance the see-saw on its own, but it depends on the relative masses and positions of the other objects on the see-saw. If the other objects are heavier or positioned closer to the fulcrum, m3 may need to exert a greater force to balance the see-saw.