Force required to pull an object with 2 different methods

• Thread starter Miguel Guerrero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Pull
In summary: I'm sorry if I'm not following what you are saying. In summary, Option 1 requires less force than option 2 because it uses a pull in a downward direction.
Miguel Guerrero

Homework Statement

You are given a choice of two methods of pulling a 2 kg sled for a distance of 7 meters at a constant speed. If the coefficient of friction is 0.1, which method do you select as involving the least amount of pull on your part?

Option 1 is a picture depicting the sled on a horizontally flat surface with the pull being in the direction of 30 degrees above the surface,

Option 2 depicts the sled being pulled up an incline of 30 degrees above the relative horizontal with the pull being in the same direction.

Please help, I determined an answer using correct work, however my instructor insists I am missing a step somewhere.

Homework Equations

Ff=μ*Fn
Fg=m*9.8
Ft=?

The Attempt at a Solution

For option 1, I calculated the force of friction using the coefficient given so that Ff=0.1*(2kg*9.8)=1.96
Using this and the angle of the pull (30 degrees) I drew a triangle for the force that must be applied to move the sled so that cos(30)=1.96/x, x=2.236N applied in the direction of the pull in order to overcome friction. I multiplied this by the 7 meters it needs to travel to get the total work necessary for option 1. W=7*2.236= 15.652

for option 2, I set the axis so that the x-axis was parallel to the table and the y-axis was perpendicular and solved for each component of gravity: Fg-x=19.6sin(30)=9.8 Fg-y=19.6cos(30)=16.974. Again using the coefficient of friction given, I solved for friction by setting the normal force equal to the y-component of gravity so that Ff=0.1*16.974=1.697. I then added this the the x-component of gravity and I multiplied the sum (11.497) by 7 to get the work (80.47)

The problem is that my instructor informed me that there is an error in my work. Something regarding the normal force in option 2 I believe but i can't seem to figure what it is. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do keep finding work? You want the case with minimum force required - no relation to work, here. Also, please post a diagram. It is difficult to follow all that you have written.

Miguel Guerrero said:
For option 1, I calculated the force of friction using the coefficient given so that Ff=0.1*(2kg*9.8)=1.96
This is one place where you've made a mistake. Is Fn equal to gravity, here?

In your method 1, since you are applying an upward pull, your frictional force is less than .1*2*9.8 because the downward force of the sled (with the upward pull) is less than 2*9.8. Your method 2 looks right to me. Just an additional item-a more interesting question with the second method is to pull it horizontally and not up a 30 degree incline. Are you sure the second method asked to pull it up a 30 degree incline? Pulling it with a horizontal pull on a level surface might take more force and more work than pulling it with a slightly upward pull to reduce the friction.

Last edited:
Miguel Guerrero said:

Homework Statement

You are given a choice of two methods of pulling a 2 kg sled for a distance of 7 meters at a constant speed. If the coefficient of friction is 0.1, which method do you select as involving the least amount of pull on your part?

Option 1 is a picture depicting the sled on a horizontally flat surface with the pull being in the direction of 30 degrees above the surface,

Option 2 depicts the sled being pulled up an incline of 30 degrees above the relative horizontal with the pull being in the same direction.
This is a strange question. Are you sure you have the right two pictures for it? They do not represent two different methods of pulling the sled, they represent two different trajectories for it. Given the wording of the question, I would have expected the sled to be going on the same path in each, the only difference being the angle of the rope to the horizontal.

image.jpeg
Qwertywerty said:
Why do keep finding work? You want the case with minimum force required - no relation to work, here. Also, please post a diagram. It is difficult to follow all that you have written.This is one place where you've made a mistake. Is Fn equal to gravity, here?

Ok, so first off - Do you understand the question? If so, could you explain the reasoning behind your working?

Draw the two free body diagrams.

haruspex said:
This is a strange question. Are you sure you have the right two pictures for it? They do not represent two different methods of pulling the sled, they represent two different trajectories for it. Given the wording of the question, I would have expected the sled to be going on the same path in each, the only difference being the angle of the rope to the horizontal.
I also asked the same thing in post #3. It is possible the instructor gave the problem in this manner, but the more interesting physics is for the same trajectory.

Charles Link said:
I also asked the same thing in post #3. It is possible the instructor gave the problem in this manner, but the more interesting physics is for the same trajectory.
And it would've helped the OP realize the mistake he was making in the first case.

Qwertywerty said:
Ok, so first off - Do you understand the question? If so, could you explain the reasoning behind your working?
I believe I am trying to solve for the amount of force necessary to move the sled in each situation.

Qwertywerty said:
Why do keep finding work? You want the case with minimum force required - no relation to work, here. Also, please post a diagram. It is difficult to follow all that you have written.This is one place where you've made a mistake. Is Fn equal to gravity, here?
I figured the normal force would be equal to the y-component of gravity, yes.

Miguel Guerrero said:

The normal force is the (minimum) force required that there is no acceleration into the surface. Add up all the forces on the sled normal to the surface in each case.

Likes CWatters
Miguel Guerrero said:
What are the forces acting on the mass? As suggested earlier, draw a free body diagram. Which forces/ their components act along the vertical direction? Is it only Fg and Fn?

Likes CWatters
Qwertywerty said:

This is what my problem is I guess

Ok; do you know how to free body diagrams? Please draw them, and only then, can we proceed.

Before doing anything I would advise drawing two free body diagrams including at least the force of gravity, force of friction, and the force exerted on the sled by the rope that is being pulled

Qwertywerty said:
Ok; do you know how to free body diagrams? Please draw them, and only then, can we proceed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 300
Yes, those are the two diagrams, except that you have left out friction.

haruspex said:
Yes, those are the two diagrams, except that you have left out friction.
Ok, so I was told that my error was that I set the normal force in the second method equal to the y-component of gravity, relative to the table. So, this is as far as I get
image.jpg

Miguel Guerrero said:
Ok, so I was told that my error was that I set the normal force in the second method equal to the y-component of gravity, relative to the table.
And you are still making that error in the horizontal motion case. How can you determine the correct value of FN?

haruspex said:
And you are still making that error in the horizontal motion case. How can you determine the correct value of FN?
Ok, do I also have to subtract the y component of the force applied rather than just setting the normal force equal to the gravitational force?

Yes.

CWatters said:
Yes.
But wouldn't that mean you'd need the force applied to begin with in order to get the force of friction since you need the normal force?

Qwertywerty said:
And it would've helped the OP realize the mistake he was making in the first case.
So wouldn't I first need the force applied to find the force of normal and friction forces?

Miguel Guerrero said:
So wouldn't I first need the force applied to find the force of normal and friction forces?
You will get two equations with two unknowns. You cannot solve either independently, but by combining them you can.

Related to Force required to pull an object with 2 different methods

1. What is force and how is it related to pulling an object?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the amount of push or pull acting on an object. When pulling an object, a force is required to overcome the resistance or friction between the object and its surroundings.

2. How do I calculate the force required to pull an object?

The force required to pull an object can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. The force required will depend on the mass of the object and the type of surface it is being pulled on.

3. What are the different methods for pulling an object and how do they affect the force required?

The two main methods for pulling an object are using a constant force and using a variable force. With a constant force, the same amount of force is applied throughout the pull. With a variable force, the force gradually increases or decreases during the pull. The force required will depend on the method used and the surface the object is being pulled on.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the force required to pull it?

The mass of the object will directly affect the force required to pull it. The greater the mass of the object, the more force will be required to overcome its inertia and move it. This is why heavier objects are more difficult to pull than lighter objects.

5. Can the force required to pull an object be reduced?

Yes, the force required to pull an object can be reduced by using certain techniques. These include reducing the friction between the object and the surface it is being pulled on, using a pulley system to distribute the force, or using a ramp to decrease the angle of pull.