Supplemental text for calculus-based mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about a college-freshman level mechanics course and the recommendation for a good supplemental text. The person is solid on the math, but feels they sometimes miss important concepts because they focus too much on the mathematics. They mention that Feynman's books can be too elementary at times and are looking for a text that delves deeper into the concepts rather than just explaining the math. The class currently uses University Physics with Modern Physics (13th edition) by Young and Freedman. The suggested text is Kleppner and Kolenkow's text.
zk3381
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good supplemental text for a college-freshman level mechanics course (calc 1 being the pre-req). I am pretty solid on the math, and I feel like that ends up hurting me sometimes because I think of things more in terms of the mathematics and sometimes I tend to ignore important concepts that would help me solve the problems. Obviously, Feynman is great and I have all his books but sometimes he tends to skip over things that he finds to be elementary (and since he was a genius and all, that means he ends up skipping some stuff that a lot of us regular people don't necessarily find so easy). If it helps, my class uses University Physics with Modern Physics (13th edition) by Young and Freedman. So I'm looking less for something that explains the math and more something that gets in depth with the concepts. Thanks everyone!

Likes SpacemanRich
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

Related to Supplemental text for calculus-based mechanics?

1. What is supplemental text for calculus-based mechanics?

Supplemental text for calculus-based mechanics is additional reading material that is used in conjunction with a calculus-based mechanics course. It may include extra practice problems, explanations of difficult concepts, and real-world applications of the material.

2. Why is supplemental text important for calculus-based mechanics?

Supplemental text is important because it provides students with extra resources to help them better understand and apply the principles of calculus-based mechanics. It can also help students who may be struggling with the material to catch up and improve their understanding.

3. Who can benefit from using supplemental text for calculus-based mechanics?

Supplemental text can benefit students of all levels, from those who are struggling with the material to those who are looking for additional challenges. It can also be useful for instructors who want to provide their students with additional resources to enhance their learning experience.

4. Where can I find supplemental text for calculus-based mechanics?

Supplemental text can be found in a variety of places, including online resources, textbooks, and study guides. Your instructor may also provide you with specific supplemental materials to use throughout the course.

5. How can I effectively use supplemental text for calculus-based mechanics?

The best way to use supplemental text is to incorporate it into your regular studying routine. This can include using it to review material before an exam, solving extra practice problems, or reading through explanations of difficult concepts. It is also important to discuss any questions or concerns with your instructor to ensure that you are using the supplemental materials effectively.