Superpostion circuit analysis question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem determining what is in series and what is in parallel, with the suggestion to redraw the circuit diagram with an open circuit for I1 and a short circuit for V2. It is suggested to remove two components that do not have any current flowing through them. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding how current flows in a circuit for solving this problem.
fatmoe
The problem I am having is determining what is in series and what is in parallel.

Now I am working with v1, so I1 has been removed and replaced with an open circuit and v2 has been replaced with a short.

So does that mean that r2 || r4? and if so, does that also mean that r2 || r4 which would then be in series with r3?

nqVKsGY.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should actually draw the circuit diagram replacing I1 with an open circuit and V2 with a short circuit.

Then, you should see there are two more components you can remove, because they don't have any current flowing through them. That should answer your question

does that mean that r2 || r4? and if so, does that also mean that r2 || r4 which would then be in series with r3?

AlephZero said:
I think you should actually draw the circuit diagram replacing I1 with an open circuit and V2 with a short circuit.

Then, you should see there are two more components you can remove, because they don't have any current flowing through them. That should answer your question

Well I have redraw it but I don't see two other components that I can remove.. R6 is in the middle so I can't combine it with anything.. I'm confused.. Already spent 4 hours on this questions..

AlephZero said:
K

I think I see now.. You mean r1 and r6? Then that would in series with the equivalent.

You have an open circuit for I1 and a short circuit for V2. The current will always flow the easiest route from + to -.

As Aleph said, draw your new circuit and look at how the current would flow through it. In your above post, R6 is correct, however, there will flow current through R1. What happens with the current on the node to the right of R2? Where will it flow from there?

Related to Superpostion circuit analysis question

1. What is superposition circuit analysis?

Superposition circuit analysis is a method used to analyze and solve complex circuits by breaking them down into simpler subcircuits and applying the principle of superposition, which states that the total response of a linear circuit is equal to the sum of the individual responses caused by each source acting alone.

2. How is superposition circuit analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Unlike other circuit analysis methods such as Kirchoff's laws or mesh and nodal analysis, superposition circuit analysis only considers one source at a time, making it easier to analyze complex circuits with multiple sources. It also allows for the use of different analysis techniques for each source, making it a versatile tool for solving circuit problems.

3. What are the limitations of superposition circuit analysis?

Superposition circuit analysis can only be applied to linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's law and have a linear relationship between voltage and current. It also assumes that the components in the circuit are independent of each other, which may not always be the case in real circuits.

4. How do you apply superposition circuit analysis?

To apply superposition circuit analysis, you must first turn off all but one source in the circuit and calculate the response of the circuit. This is repeated for each source in the circuit, while keeping all other sources turned off. Finally, the individual responses are added together to obtain the total response of the circuit.

5. What are the advantages of using superposition circuit analysis?

Superposition circuit analysis is a powerful tool for solving complex circuits, as it allows for the use of simpler analysis techniques for each source and can be easily applied to circuits with multiple sources. It also provides a deeper understanding of how each source affects the overall response of the circuit, making it useful for troubleshooting and circuit optimization.