Superconductor: Magnetic Field Strength VS distance

In summary, a superconductor has a stronger magnetic field than a regular dipole, but it decreases by 1/r^2 as you move away from it.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi all,

Does anyone know how the magnetic field strength of a superconductor varies as distance from the outside of the superconductor?

Aside from a superconductor being able to creates a stronger magnetic field than a regular dipole, does the strength still go down as 1/r^2 or does it decrease by some other way?

Any webpages that show such graphs or formulas are helpful, if the superconductor B-field does decreases differently than normal magnets.

Physics news on Phys.org
Albertgauss said:
Hi all,

Does anyone know how the magnetic field strength of a superconductor varies as distance from the outside of the superconductor?

Aside from a superconductor being able to creates a stronger magnetic field than a regular dipole, does the strength still go down as 1/r^2 or does it decrease by some other way?

Any webpages that show such graphs or formulas are helpful, if the superconductor B-field does decreases differently than normal magnets.

I'm a bit confused here.

The magnetic field that is produced by a superconductor has no strange, unusual properties. Maxwell equations work perfectly well. It has a stronger field because it has a bigger current! That's it. There isn't any magic.

Zz.

I just wasn't sure if superconductors went as something different as 1/r^2. For example, a sphere of rotating charge produces a magnetic field that falls off as 1/r^3 when you get far from it, and I know there are magnetic fields that have 1/r^4 terms when you get far from the magnet. The magnetic field of a solenoid is constant--it never gets any weaker inside the coil no matter where you go. Not even talking about superconductors, regular magnets can have different math behaviors as you get far from them, depending on the configurations of the currents or atoms that make them. I just wasn't sure if superconductors followed different power laws as one moved away from them. I guess they are just like any other magnets, just stronger. If I had a superconducting magnet and moved away, it would be stronger than a regular magnet, but still diminish by 1/r^2 as you moved away from it.

There is no innate difference about the magnetic field of a superconductor. The differences you describe arise purely from geometric considerations. The only practical difference that you need to know about a superconductor is that its resistivity falls to zero when the material temperature drops below some critical value. That's it.

I thought so, but just wasn't sure. I got it. All good. Thanks for you help everyone!

Related to Superconductor: Magnetic Field Strength VS distance

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature. This allows for the production of strong magnetic fields, making superconductors useful in a variety of applications such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.

2. How does magnetic field strength vary with distance in a superconductor?

In a superconductor, the magnetic field strength decreases exponentially with increasing distance from the source. This is due to the Meissner effect, where the superconductor expels the magnetic field from its interior, creating a shielding effect.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field strength in a superconductor?

The magnetic field strength in a superconductor is affected by the strength of the external magnetic field, the temperature of the superconductor (closer to the critical temperature results in a weaker field), and the type of superconductor material. Additionally, the shape and size of the superconductor can also impact the magnetic field strength.

4. What is the critical current of a superconductor?

The critical current is the maximum amount of electric current that can flow through a superconductor without causing it to lose its superconducting properties. When the current exceeds the critical current, the superconductor will start to dissipate energy and lose its zero-resistance state.

5. How can the magnetic field strength in a superconductor be increased?

The magnetic field strength in a superconductor can be increased by using a stronger external magnetic field, cooling the superconductor closer to its critical temperature, and using a material with a higher critical current. Additionally, shaping the superconductor into a more compact form can also increase the magnetic field strength.