Super continuum pulse compression

In summary: Additionally, you mention using a prism compression system, which can help to further compress the pulse. In summary, to measure the GVD of a white light pulse, you will need a FROG setup with an optical source, an optical delay line, a beam splitter, two detectors, and an oscilloscope/data acquisition system. You may also use a prism compression system to further compress the pulse.
paranoidom
I have just started to work in a ultrafast spectroscopy lab. My topic that i will be starting on next week is supercontinuum pulse compression. I just graduated with my BS Physics and have only some experience with ultrafast optics.
I know the general theory of how these things work and need a little help:

How does one go about measuring GVD for a white light pulse? what equipment do i need?

[So far, I've narrowed down to FROG for phase/intensity measurements and i will be using a prism compression system but that signal would be really low (being white light)]

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to measure the group velocity dispersion (GVD) of a white light pulse, you will need to use a technique called Frequency-Resolved Optical Gating (FROG). This technique is based on measuring the phase and intensity of the pulse at different frequencies and then reconstructing the pulse from those measurements. To do this, you will need a FROG setup with some sort of optical source (e.g. a laser), an optical delay line, a beam splitter, two detectors, and an oscilloscope/data acquisition system. The basic idea is that the white light pulse is split and sent to two detectors, one of which is delayed by the optical delay line. By varying the delay time, the phase and intensity of the pulse can be measured as a function of frequency. From these measurements, the GVD can be calculated.

Related to Super continuum pulse compression

What is super continuum pulse compression?

Super continuum pulse compression is a process in which an ultrashort laser pulse is compressed to an even shorter duration by using nonlinear effects in a medium.

What is the purpose of super continuum pulse compression?

The purpose of super continuum pulse compression is to generate shorter and more intense laser pulses, which can be used in a variety of scientific and technological applications, such as high precision spectroscopy, microscopy, and material processing.

How does super continuum pulse compression work?

Super continuum pulse compression works by sending an ultrashort laser pulse through a medium with nonlinear properties, such as a gas or a crystal. As the pulse propagates through the medium, it undergoes self-phase modulation, which causes the spectrum of the pulse to broaden. Afterwards, the pulse is compressed using techniques such as chirped pulse amplification or spectral phase shaping.

What are the advantages of super continuum pulse compression?

The main advantages of super continuum pulse compression are the generation of shorter and more intense laser pulses, improved temporal and spectral resolution, and increased flexibility in controlling the pulse properties. This allows for more precise and efficient experiments and applications.

What are some examples of applications for super continuum pulse compression?

Super continuum pulse compression has a wide range of applications, including precision spectroscopy for studying atomic and molecular interactions, material processing for manufacturing and micromachining, and biomedical imaging for studying biological tissues and cells. It is also used in telecommunications and laser-based technologies for data communication and sensing.