SUPER CONFUSING linear algebra question

In summary, the conversation is about a confusing linear algebra question involving parametric equations and angular velocity. The solution provided includes converting to radians per minute and taking the cross product of the rotation axis unit vector and the position vector to find the velocity. The person responding suggests looking up information on omega and explains the general relation between rotation axis and velocity.
theBEAST
SUPER CONFUSING linear algebra question :)

Homework Statement

I have attached a picture of the question with a solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well... First i found the parametric equation of the vector L... Yeah...

So even looking at the solution I am confused. I get the conversion that they made to rad/s but the steps after that blow my mind :|. What does omega mean and also why did they multiply by (1,1,1) and then took the cross product of this point and the direction of the rod?

I want to get through this step by step.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.3 KB · Views: 412
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

where's the pic ;)

susskind_leon said:
where's the pic ;)

Wow I was so excited I forgot about the picture LOOL

Lol
So, Omega means angular velocity (how many rads per unit time, in this case, minute). You should look it up on wikipedia, it reveals useful information for you.
Omega vector is the angular velocity times the unit vector of the rotation axis, which is (1,1,1)/sqrt(3)
Now, rotation axis cross position vector equals velocity is a general relation.
(If you don't believe me, look at a circularly rotating particle in the xy-plane, for example. Compute the velocity by taking d/dt r(vec). You will see, it holds. Now do the same in the xz- and yz-plane and argue that you can choose any plane.)
Now you only need to take the length of v and you're done.

Related to SUPER CONFUSING linear algebra question

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vectors and matrices. It involves the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations.

2. What makes linear algebra confusing?

Linear algebra can be confusing because it involves abstract concepts and often requires a high level of mathematical understanding. Additionally, there are many different techniques and methods used in linear algebra, which can be overwhelming for some individuals.

3. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which each term is either a constant or the product of a constant and a single variable. It can be represented graphically as a straight line.

4. How is linear algebra used in science?

Linear algebra is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve systems of equations, analyze data, and make predictions about physical systems.

5. What are some common applications of linear algebra?

Some common applications of linear algebra include image and signal processing, data compression, and machine learning. It is also used in geometry, optimization problems, and financial modeling.