Sun Setting Illusion: Explaining Constant Angular Speed

• Thread starter hotcommodity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the Sun appears to move faster as it approaches the horizon because it is easier to see its motion relative to the horizon.
hotcommodity
So I was watching the Sun set the other night, and I noticed that the Sun appeared to accelerate into the horizon. If the Earth rotates at a constant angular speed, how could this be? I was thinking about swinging a ball on a string vertically, and how the ball would have different points of maximum acceleration along its path due to the different forces acting on it. But the Sun only has a single radial force that wouldn't vary thoughout its path (that is, if the Earth was taken as a stationary frame). Can anyone explain this?

Science news on Phys.org
it must be an illusion because the sun actually slows down as it approaches the horizon due to atmospheric refraction. My guess would be that what you perceived is due to the sky being "bigger" lower down which causes people to overestimate distance from the horizon

I agree with Russ. It's probably the same basic mechanism that makes the moon look huge when it's on the horizon, and normal when it's high in the sky.

The angular diameter of the sun is 30 arcminutes ( +- seasonal things ) that is half a degree so if the sun takes about 12 hours to pass through 1800 then for half that would be 2 minutes. I mean the time it would take for the sun to pass if it "touched" the horizon till sunset.

As said above the sun "moves" slower near the horizon.

When the Sun is near to the horizon, it's easier to see its motion relative to the horizon. When it's high in the sky, there's no distant "static" object to compare it against, so the motion is less noticeable to the human eye.

Note that comparison against a nearby object like a tree or building doesn't work because nearby objects don't appear "stationary" (due to the parallax effect) unless you hold your head rigidly still.

Related to Sun Setting Illusion: Explaining Constant Angular Speed

What is the Sun Setting Illusion?

The Sun Setting Illusion, also known as the Moon Illusion or the Ebbinghaus Illusion, refers to the phenomenon where the Sun appears larger as it approaches the horizon compared to when it is higher in the sky.

Why does the Sun appear larger when it is setting?

The Sun Setting Illusion occurs because of the way our brain perceives and interprets visual information. Our brain is used to seeing objects in the sky such as the Sun and the Moon at a certain size, but when these objects are closer to the horizon, our brain interprets them as being more distant, causing them to appear larger.

Is the Sun actually larger when it is setting?

No, the size of the Sun remains constant throughout the day. The Sun Setting Illusion is simply an optical illusion caused by our brain's perception of distance and size.

Does the Sun Setting Illusion only occur with the Sun?

No, the Sun Setting Illusion can also be observed with other celestial objects such as the Moon or stars. Any object in the sky that is perceived as being at a greater distance can appear larger when it is closer to the horizon.

Can the Sun Setting Illusion be explained by science?

Yes, the Sun Setting Illusion can be explained by the size-distance relationship, which is a concept in cognitive psychology. This illusion has been studied and researched by scientists, and while the exact mechanism is still debated, it is widely accepted that it is a result of our brain's perception and interpretation of visual information.