Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)

In summary, a sophomore interested in pure math is looking for advice on applying for REU's, but is not sure if he will be accepted. He has two plans B in case he is not accepted: getting a research position at his home institution or trying to form a study group with other friends who did not get accepted into research programs. If he is not accepted, he could take summer courses to reinforce his understanding of math, but is worried the price may not be worth it.
blackfedora
I'm a sophomore interested in pure math who's been looking at an applying for REU's for the last 2 months (in fact, I discovered this forum while looking for REU advice), but I'm not going to be surprised if I'm not accepted into any of the programs.

My plan B is to try and get a research position at my home institution (which starts taking applicants after they know which majors were able to find REU positions) but that's not a sure thing by any means either.

In the event I find myself with no research opportunities how should I best spend my time this summer to get in a better position for 2011 REUs / grad school?

I was considering getting some textbooks and self teaching myself about an area of mathematics I'm interested in, or going back and filling any gaps in my understanding of foundation courses like linear algebra and calculus if I find myself with 3 months of time to fill.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey!

I'm in the same situation as you.

I'd say my plan B will be to contact professors at my own university and see if any have a potential research project for me or if they know any other professors who could act as a sort of mentor.

Alternatively, yeah I guess I'll do some independent study, or try and form a study group with other friends who didn't get into research programs.

If anyone has any ideas, do share!

Are there any classes you could take over the summer that would be worth your time? A number of schools will let outside students take courses over the summer, so if you look around you may be able to find something.

Of course, the huge disadvantage to this is that it will be expensive probably, so I don't know if it'd be worth it.

I haven't heard back from any of the REUs I've applied to either, so I too am bracing myself for the possibility that I won't get into any of them.

I'm thinking about taking courses, but my department is pretty awesome at really getting me to understand the material completely, and it's not like I don't have enough time to take all the math I want from them (I'm done with distribution, so I have 14 to 16 courses left since I'll probably take a few courses off to write my thesis). So I guess I'm having trouble justifying the price of summer courses given the risk that I might end up with shaky understanding of the subject.

I suppose I could take the summer to reinforce my linear algebra and multi-variable in preparation for the GRE. Anyone have other idea's?

I understand the importance of having a backup plan in case things don't go as expected. It's great that you have been actively seeking REU opportunities, but it's also important to have a plan B, C, or D in case those don't work out.

If you find yourself without any research opportunities this summer, there are still ways to make the most of your time and prepare for future REUs and graduate school. Self-teaching yourself about an area of mathematics you are interested in can be a great way to expand your knowledge and gain a deeper understanding of the subject. This will not only make you a stronger candidate for future REUs, but it will also be beneficial for your future studies in graduate school.

Additionally, filling any gaps in your understanding of foundational courses like linear algebra and calculus can also be a valuable use of your time. These courses are the building blocks of higher level mathematics and having a strong foundation will be beneficial for your future studies.

Another option could be to look for online courses or workshops related to mathematics that you can participate in during the summer. This will not only keep you engaged in learning, but also demonstrate your dedication and commitment to the subject.

Finally, if possible, consider reaching out to professors or researchers in your field of interest and see if they have any ongoing projects that you can assist with remotely. This will not only give you some research experience, but also help you build connections and network with professionals in your field.

In summary, while not being accepted into REUs can be disappointing, there are still ways for you to make the most of your summer and prepare for future opportunities. Keep pursuing your interests and stay motivated in your studies, and I'm sure you will find success in the future.

Related to Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)

1. What is the "Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)"?

The "Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)" refers to a contingency plan that was created in response to potential complications or setbacks that may have arisen during the summer of 2010. It was a backup plan to ensure that any potential issues would not impede progress or success during that time period.

2. Why was the "Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)" necessary?

The "Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)" was necessary because it is always important to have a backup plan in place to mitigate any potential risks or problems that may arise. This is especially crucial in scientific research where unexpected variables and challenges are common.

3. Who created the "Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)"?

The "Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)" was likely created by a team of scientists or researchers involved in the project. It may have been led by a principal investigator or project manager, with input and collaboration from other team members.

4. Was the "Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)" successful?

The success of the "Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)" would depend on the specific circumstances and goals of the project. However, having a contingency plan in place can generally be seen as a success, as it shows proactive and strategic thinking in addressing potential challenges.

5. Are contingency plans like the "Summer 2010 Plan B (or C, or D)" common in scientific research?

Yes, contingency plans are common in scientific research as they help to minimize risks and ensure that progress is not hindered by unexpected obstacles. Having a backup plan in place is a standard practice in research and is considered a necessary aspect of project management.