Summation Problem: Evaluate k2-k+1/k(k-1)

• Thread starter darkvalentine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the given series, when evaluated from k=2 to infinity, diverges due to the general term not approaching zero as k approaches infinity.
darkvalentine

Homework Statement

Evaluate: Sum[k2-k+1/k(k-1),{k,2,infinity}]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

k2-k+1/k(k-1) can be written as k/(k-1) - 1/k, but then I get stuck because when n->infinity, the sum is divergent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is slightly ambiguous.

If this is your problem:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Sum+k^2-k%2B1/k(k-1)+from+2+to+infinity
then yes it diverges.

If the general term is

[tex]
\frac{k^2 - k + 1}{k(k-1)}
[/tex]

the key is that numerator and denominator are polynomials of the same degree: what is the limit of this term (not the sum, just this term) as [itex] k \to \infty [/itex]?

statdad said:
If the general term is

[tex]
\frac{k^2 - k + 1}{k(k-1)}
[/tex]

the key is that numerator and denominator are polynomials of the same degree: what is the limit of this term (not the sum, just this term) as [itex] k \to \infty [/itex]?

Thanks for input sir,
The limit of the term above when k->infinity is 1, but can I conclude that the lim(the sum above, k->infinity) = 1 also?

Now that I know what problem you need answer to I can give an answer. Instead of writing k2-k+1/k(k-1) write (k^2-k+1)/(k(k-1)) because the first one is not the same as the second one.

If you have
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n [/tex]
there is a specific property that [tex] a_n[/tex] needs to have when [tex] n \to \infty [/tex] for the sum to converge. Does your [tex] a_n [/tex] have this?

Tip: you just showed that it didn't.

darkvalentine said:
Thanks for input sir,
The limit of the term above when k->infinity is 1, but can I conclude that the lim(the sum above, k->infinity) = 1 also?

Are you familiar with the limit comparison test? If so compare it to Bn = 1. This should also make it apparent that for ΣAn to converge it must be the case that: An → 0 as n → ∞

As others have noted, you know that the general term does not go to zero. What does that alone say about the series' convergence?

Thanks guy, I think I figure it out ))

Related to Summation Problem: Evaluate k2-k+1/k(k-1)

1. What is a summation problem?

A summation problem is a mathematical expression that involves adding a sequence of numbers. It is denoted by the symbol "Σ" and is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. How do you evaluate a summation problem?

To evaluate a summation problem, you need to follow a specific order of operations. First, you simplify any expressions within the parentheses, then you multiply and divide from left to right, and finally, you add and subtract from left to right. It is important to pay attention to the given limits of the summation (the numbers above and below the summation symbol).

3. What is the formula for the summation problem: Evaluate k2-k+1/k(k-1)?

The formula for this summation problem is: Σ(k^2 - k + 1)/k(k-1), where k is the variable and the limits of summation are not specified. This formula represents the sum of the given sequence of numbers.

4. Can the limits of summation affect the result of the summation problem?

Yes, the limits of summation can affect the result of the summation problem. Changing the limits will result in a different sequence of numbers being added, which will lead to a different sum.

5. What is the significance of the summation problem in science?

The summation problem is significant in science because it allows us to calculate the total sum of a sequence of numbers. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and chemistry, where we need to find the total amount of a certain quantity. It also helps in analyzing patterns and trends in data.