Summation Identity for i^p power question, really simple

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for sums of i raised to any power, known as Faulhaber's formula, which is valid for natural numbers p. The formula also includes a method for making binomial coefficients, which is more efficient than the traditional notation.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

[tex] \sum_{i=0}^{n} i^{p} = \frac {(n+1)^{p+1}}{p+1} + \sum_{k=1}^{p} \frac {B_{k}}{p-k+1} (^{p}_{k}) (n+1)^{p-k+1} [/tex]

where Bk is a Bernoulli number.

There is no actual question here I would just like to know if this formula is for sums of i to any power, of course its rather cumbersome but the question still stands. All I want to know is if I understand what it is doing.

edit: oh and

[tex] (^{p}_{k}) = \frac {p!}{k!(p-k)!} \;\; 0 \leq k \leq p [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is called Faulhaber's formula and is valid for natural numbers p.

Incidentally, there is a better way to make binomial coefficients than (^p_k), which will always produce "small" binomial coefficients and won't always place the arguments gracefully with respect to the parentheses. You can write \binom{p}{k} to get [tex]\binom{p}{k}[/tex].

Related to Summation Identity for i^p power question, really simple

1. What is the Summation Identity for i^p power?

The Summation Identity for i^p power is a mathematical formula that calculates the sum of a series of numbers raised to a power of i. It is written as: 1 + i^p + (i^p)^2 + (i^p)^3 + ... + (i^p)^n, where n is the number of terms in the series.

2. How do I use the Summation Identity for i^p power?

To use the Summation Identity for i^p power, you need to first identify the value of p and the number of terms in the series (n). Then, plug these values into the formula and perform the necessary calculations to find the sum of the series.

3. What is the significance of i in the Summation Identity for i^p power?

The letter i represents the imaginary unit in mathematics, which is the square root of -1. It is used in the formula to indicate that the power being raised to is a complex number.

4. Can the Summation Identity for i^p power be used for any value of p?

Yes, the Summation Identity for i^p power can be used for any value of p, including positive, negative, and fractional numbers. However, the value of p will affect the resulting sum of the series.

5. How is the Summation Identity for i^p power related to other mathematical identities?

The Summation Identity for i^p power is closely related to other mathematical identities, such as the Geometric Series Identity and the Binomial Theorem. These identities all involve the concept of summing a series of numbers with different powers.