Sum to Infinity of a Geometric Series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the range of values for x in two different series in order for the sum to infinity to exist. The first series converges for |1/x| < 1, and the second series converges for |x| < 3/2. The conversation also includes a formula for finding the sum to infinity.
odolwa99

Homework Statement

Q. Find the range of values of x for which the sum to infinity exists for each of these series:

(i) 1 + [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{x^3}[/itex] + ...

(ii) [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{2x}{9}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{4x^2}{27}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{8x^3}{81}[/itex] + ...

Homework Equations

S[itex]\infty[/itex] = [itex]\frac{a}{1 - r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) r = [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]/ 1 = [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] 1 = x
Ans.: From textbook: IxI > 1

(ii) r = [itex]\frac{2x}{9}[/itex]/ [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{6x}{9}[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] 6x = 9 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x = [itex]\frac{9}{6}[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x = [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]

Ans.: From textbook: -[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex] < x < [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]

I'm confused as to whether I'm approaching this correctly, or if I've simply gone wrong in expressing the answers I found. Can someone help me figure this out? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your sum to infinity to exist

Sn must converge as r→∞.

i.e. for |r| < 1

so in your first one, you correctly found r as r = 1/x so it would converge for |1/x| < 1 and you know that |X|< A ⇒ -A<X<A.

Ok, I think I see it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Related to Sum to Infinity of a Geometric Series

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, called the common ratio. For example, in the series 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, the common ratio is 2.

2. What is the formula for the sum to infinity of a geometric series?

The formula for the sum to infinity of a geometric series is S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. This formula only works when the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1.

3. How do you know if a geometric series converges or diverges?

A geometric series converges if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1. If the absolute value of the common ratio is equal to or greater than 1, the series will diverge.

4. How can I find the sum of a geometric series if the common ratio is not given?

If the common ratio is not given, you can find it by dividing any term by the previous term. Once you have the common ratio, you can use the formula S = a/(1-r) to find the sum of the series.

5. Can the sum to infinity of a geometric series be negative?

Yes, the sum to infinity of a geometric series can be negative if the common ratio is negative and the first term is also negative. For example, in the series -2, 4, -8, 16, the sum to infinity would be -8.