Sum of Unitary Matrices Question

In summary, a unitary matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own inverse when multiplied by its conjugate transpose. The sum of unitary matrices is a matrix operation that results in another unitary matrix. Unitary matrices are significant in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and quantum mechanics. To determine if a matrix is unitary, you can multiply it by its conjugate transpose and check if the result is the identity matrix. Non-unitary matrices will never result in a unitary matrix when added together.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find an example of two unitary matrices that when summed together are not unitary.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & -i\\
i & 0\\
\end{pmatrix}

B = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1\\
1 & 0\\
\end{pmatrix}

A+B =
A = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1-i\\
1+i & 0\\
\end{pmatrix}

So we see that the hermitian conjugate of (A+B) is identical to A+B.

So (A+B)(A+B) =
A = \begin{pmatrix}
2 & 0\\
0 & 2\\
\end{pmatrix}

So since it is a diagonal matrix of 2, this is not the identity matrix. We can safely conclude that while A is unitary, B is unitary, (A+B) is NOT unitary.

Safe understanding?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Find an example of two unitary matrices that when summed together are not unitary.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & -i\\
i & 0\\
\end{pmatrix}

B = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1\\
1 & 0\\
\end{pmatrix}

A+B =
A = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1-i\\
1+i & 0\\
\end{pmatrix}

So we see that the hermitian conjugate of (A+B) is identical to A+B.

So (A+B)(A+B) =
A = \begin{pmatrix}
2 & 0\\
0 & 2\\
\end{pmatrix}

So since it is a diagonal matrix of 2, this is not the identity matrix. We can safely conclude that while A is unitary, B is unitary, (A+B) is NOT unitary.

Safe understanding?

Thanks

That's fine. Even simpler, if ##I## is the identity matrix, then ##I## is unitary, so is ##-I##. ##I+(-I)=0##. ##0## is not unitary.

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Sum of Unitary Matrices Question

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix whose conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. In other words, when multiplied by its conjugate transpose, a unitary matrix results in the identity matrix.

2. What is the sum of unitary matrices?

The sum of unitary matrices is a matrix operation that adds two or more unitary matrices together. The resulting matrix is also unitary.

3. What is the significance of unitary matrices in mathematics?

Unitary matrices play a crucial role in linear algebra and quantum mechanics. They are used to represent rotations, reflections, and other transformations in three-dimensional space, and are also important in the study of quantum systems.

4. How do you determine if a matrix is unitary?

To determine if a matrix is unitary, you can multiply the matrix by its conjugate transpose. If the result is the identity matrix, then the original matrix is unitary. Additionally, all the eigenvalues of a unitary matrix have a magnitude of 1.

5. Can the sum of two non-unitary matrices be unitary?

No, the sum of non-unitary matrices will never result in a unitary matrix. This is because the sum of two non-unitary matrices will not have the property of being equal to its conjugate transpose, which is necessary for a matrix to be unitary.