Sum of Submodules - infinite family case

In summary, The conversation is about understanding Section 1.4 of Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules." In Proposition 1.4.4, Bland introduces a definition for the sum of a family of submodules. However, the definition does not explicitly mention that the family can be infinite, which can make the sum meaningless. This issue is discussed and resolved by assuming that all but finitely many terms in the sum are equal to zero. This assumption is explained in Chapter 0 of the book. Additionally, Bland occasionally mentions this assumption explicitly, such as in the definition of an external direct sum on page 43.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 1.4 which introduces modules.

I need help with one of the definitions included in the statement of Proposition 1.4.4.

Proposition 1.4.4 reads as follows:

View attachment 3648

In (2) in the above Proposition Bland implicitly defines the sum of a family of submodules as follows:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{\Delta} M_\alpha \ = \ \{ \sum_{\Delta} x_\alpha \ | \ x_\alpha \in M_\alpha \text{ for all } \alpha \in \Delta \}\)Now the definition leaves open the possibility that the family \(\displaystyle \Delta\) is infinite, so shouldn't the definition include the statement:

" ... ... where \(\displaystyle x_\alpha = 0\) for almost all \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \Delta\) ... ... "... ... so as to effectively ensure that when the family \(\displaystyle \Delta\) is infinite that each sum \(\displaystyle \sum_{\Delta} x_\alpha\) is meaningful ... ...?

Can someone please help with this matter?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

We've discussed this before, but those sums $\sum_{\Delta} x_{\alpha}$ are assumed to have all but finitely many terms equal to $0$. I don't have the book on me but the meaning of the notation should be explained somewhere in Chapter 0.

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

We've discussed this before, but those sums $\sum_{\Delta} x_{\alpha}$ are assumed to have all but finitely many terms equal to $0$. I don't have the book on me but the meaning of the notation should be explained somewhere in Chapter 0.
Thanks Euge ... yes, forgot that we had discussed the issue ... indeed, just checked and saw the explanation on page 5 ...

Occasionally Bland does explicitly mention that "\(\displaystyle x_\alpha = 0\) for almost all \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \Delta\)" ... such as on page 43 when Bland defines an external direct sum .. ... which put me off guard a bit ...

Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

Related to Sum of Submodules - infinite family case

1. What is the definition of "Sum of Submodules - infinite family case"?

The "Sum of Submodules - infinite family case" refers to the sum of an infinite number of submodules in a module, where each submodule is a subset of the original module and is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is the sum of submodules in the infinite family case calculated?

The sum of submodules in the infinite family case is calculated by taking the union of all the submodules and then finding the smallest submodule that contains this union. This submodule is known as the direct sum of the submodules.

3. What are some examples of submodules in the infinite family case?

Some examples of submodules in the infinite family case include the set of all even integers in the module of integers, or the set of all polynomials of degree less than or equal to n in the module of polynomials over a field.

4. How is the sum of submodules in the infinite family case different from the finite case?

In the finite case, the sum of submodules is simply the direct sum of the submodules. However, in the infinite family case, the sum is calculated by taking the union of the submodules and finding the smallest submodule that contains this union. This can lead to differences in the submodules that make up the sum.

5. What are some applications of the concept of "Sum of Submodules - infinite family case"?

The concept of "Sum of Submodules - infinite family case" has various applications in algebra, particularly in the study of vector spaces and modules. It is also used in representation theory, where the sum of submodules can help decompose a larger module into smaller, more manageable pieces.