External Direct Sums and the Sum of a Family of Mappings ....

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum Sums
In summary, Bland's text on external direct sums includes the following:- The concept of a family of mappings is needed- If ##f_\alpha \ : \ M_\alpha \rightarrow N## is an R-linear mapping for each ##\alpha \in \Delta##, where ##N## is a fixed R-module, then ##f \ : \ \bigoplus_\Delta M_\alpha \rightarrow N## defined by ##f( ( x_\alpha ) ) = \sum_\Delta f_\alpha (x)## is given- However, if ##f## is defined by ##f( ( x_\alpha ) ) = \sum_
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I have an issue/problem that relates to Bland initial treatment of external direct sums including Proposition 2.1.5 ... especially Bland's definition of the sum of a family of mappings ...

Bland's text on this is as follows:
Bland - Proposition 2.1.4 ... inc External Direct Sums  ... .png
In the above text by Bland we read the following:

" ... ... We now need the concept of a family of mappings. If ##f_\alpha \ : \ M_\alpha \rightarrow N## is an R-linear mapping for each ##\alpha \in \Delta##, where ##N## is a fixed R-module, then ##f \ : \ \bigoplus_\Delta M_\alpha \rightarrow N## defined by ##f( ( x_\alpha ) ) = \sum_\Delta f_\alpha (x)## ... ... "

But in the last sentence of the proof of Proposition 2.1.5 ( ... again, see above text by Bland ... ) we read:

" ... ... If ##( x_\alpha ) \in \bigoplus_\Delta M_\alpha##, then ##f( ( x_\alpha ) ) = \sum_\Delta f_\alpha (x_\alpha)## ... ... "So ... in the text above the Proposition we have ... ##f( ( x_\alpha ) ) = \sum_\Delta f_\alpha (x)## ... ... and in the proof of the proposition we have ##f( ( x_\alpha ) ) = \sum_\Delta f_\alpha (x_\alpha)## ...

... which of these is correct ... or in some strange way, are they both correct ...

... I note that x is mentioned in the definition of the canonical injections above ..

Can someone please clarify ... ?
But ... if ##f## is defined by ##f( ( x_\alpha ) ) = \sum_\Delta f_\alpha (x_\alpha)## ... then I have a further problem ...

... we know that ##f \ : \ M_\alpha \rightarrow N## ... that is the domain of ##f_\alpha## is ##M_\alpha## ... BUT ...PROBLEM ... ##( x_\alpha ) \in \bigoplus_\Delta M_\alpha## and ##( x_\alpha ) \notin M_\alpha## ...

... can someone please clarify ?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bland - Proposition 2.1.4 ... inc External Direct Sums  ... .png
    Bland - Proposition 2.1.4 ... inc External Direct Sums ... .png
    32 KB · Views: 1,171
Physics news on Phys.org
The second one is correct. I think the ##\alpha## subscript was left off the ##x## in the first one by mistake.

Re the further problem. You say we know that ##f:M_\alpha\to N##. I can't see that the author has said that. Right now, because of an internet problem, I can only see your latex, not the png from the text. But in the latex you have quoted the author as writing that the domain of ##f## is ##\bigoplus_\Delta M_\alpha##, not ##M_\alpha## which is the domain of ##f_\alpha## (note the subscript on the ##f##). As long as we stick to that, I think we'll be OK.

andrewkirk said:
The second one is correct. I think the ##\alpha## subscript was left off the ##x## in the first one by mistake.

Re the further problem. You say we know that ##f:M_\alpha\to N##. I can't see that the author has said that. Right now, because of an internet problem, I can only see your latex, not the png from the text. But in the latex you have quoted the author as writing that the domain of ##f## is ##\bigoplus_\Delta M_\alpha##, not ##M_\alpha## which is the domain of ##f_\alpha## (note the subscript on the ##f##). As long as we stick to that, I think we'll be OK.
Sorry Andrew ... it was a typo ...

I wrote:

" ... ... ... we know that ##f \ : \ M_\alpha \rightarrow N## ... that is the domain of ##f_\alpha## is ##M_\alpha## ... "

but I meant

" ... ... ##f_\alpha \ : \ M_\alpha \rightarrow N## ... that is the domain of ##f_\alpha## is ##M_\alpha## ... ... "

Peter

Internet is mended now so I can see the png. Is your problem solved? If not can you elaborate on what the remaining difficulty is?

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ... Issues are resolved ...

Peter

Related to External Direct Sums and the Sum of a Family of Mappings ....

1. What is an external direct sum?

An external direct sum is a mathematical concept where two or more objects are combined in a way that preserves their individual structures. In other words, an external direct sum is the sum of two or more objects without any overlapping elements.

2. How is an external direct sum different from a direct sum?

An external direct sum differs from a direct sum in that it combines objects from different categories or spaces, while a direct sum combines objects from the same category or space. This means that an external direct sum can be formed between objects that have different underlying structures.

3. What is the sum of a family of mappings?

The sum of a family of mappings refers to the combination of all the mappings in a given family. This can be thought of as a single mapping that incorporates all the individual mappings in the family. The sum of a family of mappings is also known as a direct limit or colimit in mathematical terms.

4. How is the sum of a family of mappings calculated?

The sum of a family of mappings is calculated by first defining the individual mappings in the family, then combining them using a specified operation (such as addition or multiplication) to form a new mapping. This new mapping represents the sum of the family of mappings.

5. Why is the concept of external direct sums and the sum of a family of mappings important in mathematics?

External direct sums and the sum of a family of mappings are important concepts in mathematics because they allow for the combination of multiple objects while preserving their individual structures. This is useful in various fields of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and functional analysis, where objects with different structures need to be combined in a meaningful way.