Sum of Forces in x- and y-directions

In summary, a chair with mass 55.0 kg is pushed by a force of magnitude 144 N at an angle of 35.0 degrees below the horizontal on a carpeted floor. The frictional force between the carpet and the floor is 106 N. The magnitude of the acceleration of the chair is 1.517 m/s^2. To find the normal force, the equation R + (144)sin30 = m*g is used, resulting in a normal force of 539 N.
jjli

Homework Statement

Yusef pushes a chair of mass m = 55.0 kg across a carpeted floor with a force F of magnitude F(push) = 144 N directed at theta = 35.0 degrees below the horizontal. The magnitude of the frictional force between the carpet and the floor is F(fr) = 106 N. What is the magnitude of the acceleration a of the chair? What is the magnitude of the normal force F_N acting on the chair?

Homework Equations

\Sigma F_x = F_{\rm p}\cos\theta - F_{\rm fr} = ma_x
\Sigma F_y = F_{\rm N} - F_{\rm G}- F_{\rm p}\sin\theta = ma_y

The Attempt at a Solution

To figure out the sum of the forces in the x-direction, I plugged in known values, and found that my acceleration in the x-direction was .217416 m/s^2. I thought I used the correct method to figure out the sum of forces in the y-direction (I assumed the force of gravity and the normal force were equivalent) and I found out that the acceleration in the y-direction was -1.50173 m/s^2. However, my magnitude of acceleration, 1.517 m/s^2, was not the correct answer. The question asked for both the magnitude of acceleration and the normal force (which I figured to be 55(g): 539), so perhaps my normal force was wrong?

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

The first part is right. For the second part we know that the normal force (R) is equal to m*g when no other forces are acting on the chair. In this case there is an external force acting on the chair, a component of this force is acting in the upwards y direction. Yet there is no acceleration in the y direction so we know that the forces must be balanced.

So in this case:

R + (144)sin30 = m*g

You can solve for R from there.

Hello Yusef,

Thank you for providing all the necessary information for this problem. I can see that you have correctly used the equations for the sum of forces in the x- and y-directions. However, there seems to be a mistake in your calculation for the normal force.

To calculate the normal force, we need to consider all the vertical forces acting on the chair. These include the weight of the chair (mg) and the vertical component of the pushing force (Fp sinθ). Therefore, the equation for the sum of forces in the y-direction should be:

ΣFy = F_N - mg - Fp sinθ = ma_y

Using this equation and plugging in the known values, we can solve for the normal force as:

F_N = mg + Fp sinθ - ma_y = (55.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) + (144 N)sin(35.0°) - (55.0 kg)(-1.50173 m/s^2) = 539 N

This is the correct value for the normal force acting on the chair. Now, to find the magnitude of the acceleration, we can use the equation:

a = √(ax^2 + ay^2) = √((0.217416 m/s^2)^2 + (-1.50173 m/s^2)^2) = 1.518 m/s^2

Therefore, the magnitude of the acceleration is 1.518 m/s^2.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had with the problem. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Best,

Related to Sum of Forces in x- and y-directions

What is the definition of "Sum of Forces in x- and y-directions"?

The sum of forces in x- and y-directions, also known as the net force, is the overall force acting on an object in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

How do you calculate the sum of forces in x- and y-directions?

To calculate the sum of forces in x- and y-directions, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object in both directions. Then, use vector addition to find the resultant force, which is the sum of all the forces in each direction.

What is the importance of understanding the sum of forces in x- and y-directions?

Understanding the sum of forces in x- and y-directions is crucial in determining the overall motion and equilibrium of an object. It allows us to analyze and predict the movement of objects in various scenarios, such as on an inclined plane or in free fall.

Can the sum of forces in x- and y-directions ever be zero?

Yes, the sum of forces in x- and y-directions can be zero in certain situations. This occurs when all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and therefore no acceleration.

How does the sum of forces in x- and y-directions relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The sum of forces in x- and y-directions is directly related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force, while the second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. By understanding the sum of forces, we can apply these laws to analyze and predict the motion of objects.