Sum of 1/(n^2) as n goes to infinity

In summary: I have to integrate by using parseval's , but how do you know we can't treat it as a point?Yes, the square is a hint you might need Parseval. But you didn't really finish the proof you presented in post 8. Could you do that? Then you might see why evaluation of the Fourier series at a point can give you the sum of some series.
Outrageous

Homework Statement

Prove Ʃ1/(n^2) as n goes to infinity = (∏^2)/8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to start. Pls guide.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Outrageous said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thanks

You need to show your work, first. Anyway, what is the context? Is this a problem in a course? If so, what is the course subject (analytic function theory, differential equations, Fourier analysis...)?

Outrageous said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thanks

You won't be able to prove it, since the result is wrong. The sum converges to [itex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{6}[/itex] instead

Ray Vickson said:
You need to show your work, first. Anyway, what is the context? Is this a problem in a course? If so, what is the course subject (analytic function theory, differential equations, Fourier analysis...)?

arildno said:
You won't be able to prove it, since the result is wrong. The sum converges to [itex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{6}[/itex] instead

I got that from a manual solution, I don't know where should I ask my question so I put it here .
This answer is for quantum mechanics problem. I don't think that is Fourier series.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 760
Well, in that thumbnail, it isn't 1/n^2 for n the integers, is it?

Outrageous said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thanks

Check your PMs -- you must show your work to receive tutorial help (and please do not use txt speak here like "pls")

Outrageous said:
I got that from a manual solution, I don't know where should I ask my question so I put it here .
This answer is for quantum mechanics problem. I don't think that is Fourier series.

You gave us the wrong problem; it should be
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n+1)^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{8}.[/tex]
I would be willing to bet this can be obtained from an appropriate Fourier series, but I will leave the fun of discovery to you.

Likes 1 person
Sorry for my mistakes. Thanks for replying.
Do I need to know f(x)= ? for solving this problem? Like f(x)=x for showing 1 - (1/3) + (1/5)...= ∏/4 .as shown below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 631
Outrageous said:
Sorry for my mistakes. Thanks for replying.
Do I need to know f(x)= ? for solving this problem? Like f(x)=x for showing 1 - (1/3) + (1/5)...= ∏/4 .as shown below

Use the same function, but instead of evaluating the series at a point, use Parseval's identity.

Dick said:
Use the same function, but instead of evaluating the series at a point, use Parseval's identity.

f(x)= x .Range? -∏ <x< ∏ ?
What do you mean by evaluating the series at a point? Fourier series evaluating at a point
Complex fouries series and Parseval's theorem ?
Why do we need two types?

Outrageous said:
f(x)= x .Range? -∏ <x< ∏ ?
What do you mean by evaluating the series at a point? Fourier series evaluating at a point
Complex fouries series and Parseval's theorem ?
Why do we need two types?

Yes, exactly the same function, exactly the same series. Did you look up Parseval's theorem? Evaluating the series gives you things like 1/n, Parseval's gives you things like 1/n^2. Just try it.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Yes, exactly the same function, exactly the same series. Did you look up Parseval's theorem? Evaluating the series gives you things like 1/n, Parseval's gives you things like 1/n^2. Just try it.

I got the answer by using parseval's theorem when f(x)=x over the interval -∏<x<∏.
Thanks

But when do I know I need to use complex Fourier series and parseval's theorem? Is that because there is a square? (2m+1)^2

Can I say Fourier series is used when my conjugate ,g(x) is not complex. Complex conjugate of g(x) = g(x), Eg. ∫g(x)f(x)dx= c
But when g(x) is complex , complex conjugate of g(x) is not equal to g(x),then I should use complex Fourier series?
This is my own conclusion after reading . Please Correct if it's wrong.

Dick said:

I am still don't understand what do you mean evaluate the series at a point, is that meant f(x)= x , the x should not be a point, so I have to integrate by using parseval's , but how do you know we can't treat it as a point?

Outrageous said:
I got the answer by using parseval's theorem when f(x)=x over the interval -∏<x<∏.
Thanks

But when do I know I need to use complex Fourier series and parseval's theorem? Is that because there is a square? (2m+1)^2

Can I say Fourier series is used when my conjugate ,g(x) is not complex. Complex conjugate of g(x) = g(x), Eg. ∫g(x)f(x)dx= c
But when g(x) is complex , complex conjugate of g(x) is not equal to g(x),then I should use complex Fourier series?
I am still don't understand what do you mean evaluate the series at a point, is that meant f(x)= x , the x should not be a point, so I have to integrate by using parseval's , but how do you know we can't treat it as a point?

Yes, the square is a hint you might need Parseval. But you didn't really finish the proof you presented in post 8. Could you do that? Then you might see why evaluation of the Fourier series at a point can give you the sum of some series.

Outrageous said:
Thanks

You ask "...how do you know...?" You don't! You can try 9 methods that lead to failure, while the 10th method works. You may generate dozens of pages of scrap paper full of failed attempts, and you may spend many hours on "wasted" efforts (not really wasted, though---they teach you something). Be assured, all the posters here that are professors, etc., have gone through this type of experience many times in the past.

However, there are some lessons you can take with you. Often (not always!) when we have sums involving π or π2, etc. on the right, it will be a result of either evaluating some definite integral in two ways---once using some method that gives the right-hand-side directly, and the other by integrating a Taylor series term-by-term, for example; or it may come somehow from Fourier series. You just get to "guess" these things after gaining experience through working lots of problems. Maybe you don't know this stuff going into a course, but hopefully you do (at least a bit) when you have finished the course! That's called education.

Thank you guys.

Dick said:
Yes, the square is a hint you might need Parseval. But you didn't really finish the proof you presented in post 8. Could you do that? Then you might see why evaluation of the Fourier series at a point can give you the sum of some series.

Understood~

Related to Sum of 1/(n^2) as n goes to infinity

What is the sum of 1/(n^2) as n goes to infinity?

The sum of 1/(n^2) as n goes to infinity is equal to π^2/6, also known as the Basel problem. This was first solved by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

Why is the sum of 1/(n^2) as n goes to infinity important?

This infinite series has important applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of harmonic oscillators and the calculation of areas under curves.

How is the sum of 1/(n^2) as n goes to infinity calculated?

The sum is calculated using the formula π^2/6, which can be derived using various methods such as the Euler-Maclaurin summation formula or Fourier series. It can also be approximated using numerical methods.

Can the sum of 1/(n^2) as n goes to infinity be generalized to other series?

Yes, the concept of the Basel problem can be extended to other infinite series, such as the sum of 1/(n^s) as n goes to infinity for any real number s greater than 1. This is known as the Riemann zeta function.

Are there any real-world applications of the sum of 1/(n^2) as n goes to infinity?

Yes, this infinite series has been used in various fields such as number theory, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. It has also been used to calculate the probability of certain events in gambling and finance.