SULI Vs. DOD Contractor Internship Advice

In summary, a sophomore in college with a double major in electrical engineering and physics and a minor in mathematics is seeking advice on which summer internship to pursue. One offer is a SULI internship at Argonne Nat'l Labs in software engineering and the other is with a DOD contractor for low-level software development. The student's ultimate goal is to work in digital signal processing/chip design. They are asking for opinions on which internship to choose and if anyone has experience with the SULI program at Argonne. One person mentions being a mentor in the program and the student also asks for opinions on the program in general. Another person shares their experience as a mentor at a different institution and mentions the potential for more exposure to new tools and
pYr0rAGE
Hi all

I have recently been approached for two offers for this summer. One is a SULI internship at Argonne Nat'l Labs in the software engineering field, and the other is with a DOD contractor (Dynetics) for similar work (i.e. low-level software development). I am currently a sophomore in college double majoring in electrical engineering and physics, with a minor in mathematics. My questions for anyone who has an opinion:

1) I eventually want to go into the field of digital signal processing / chip design (Altera, etc.). With that in mind, and ignoring financial constraints, which internship should I pursue?

2) Has anyone on this forum participated in the SULI at Argonne? If so, I'd like to hear about your opinions about your time there.

Thanks for your help
-pYr0

Physics news on Phys.org

I was a mentor to a student in the SULI program at Argonne, so probably not the type of experience you are seeking for. Still, I at least know of the program and the place.

Zz.

Well, I'll take any opinions on the program that I can get!

Did the student you mentored have an overall positive experience? If you were in my shoes, would you chose the SULI program?

-pYr0

pYr0rAGE said:
Well, I'll take any opinions on the program that I can get!

Did the student you mentored have an overall positive experience?

He definitely did! I also wrote his letter of recommendation when he applied to grad schools, and he is now doing his PhD at MIT.

Too bad he decided to work on "gravitational waves"!

:)

If you were in my shoes, would you chose the SULI program?

-pYr0

If I were in your shoes, I would do ANY kind of research internship that I could get.

Zz.

I regularly mentor SULI students at my institution (not Argonne). It can be a great experience for the students but it depends a lot on your mentor and the project. The experience of students varies a lot.

In my experience talking with many people who have worked at National Labs vs Defense Contractors, generally what I hear is that the level of exposure to new tools and ideas is better at National Labs. So much stuff is protected and compartmentalized at a Defense Contractor it will be hard to see the big picture.

This depends entirely on the specific opportunities you have of course. But that is my second-hand experience.

Related to SULI Vs. DOD Contractor Internship Advice

What is the difference between a SULI internship and a DOD contractor internship?

A SULI (Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship) internship is offered by the U.S. Department of Energy and provides undergraduate students with hands-on research experience at national laboratories. A DOD (Department of Defense) contractor internship is offered by companies that have contracts with the DOD and provide students with experience in a variety of fields related to national security and defense.

Which internship is more competitive, SULI or DOD contractor?

Overall, SULI internships tend to be more competitive due to the prestige and resources of the national laboratories. However, specific opportunities within the DOD contractor internships may also be competitive depending on the company and project.

Can I apply for both a SULI internship and a DOD contractor internship?

Yes, you can apply for both types of internships. However, keep in mind that there may be overlapping application periods and you may need to prioritize which one you are more interested in. It is also important to carefully review the eligibility requirements for each internship before applying.

What types of skills and experiences are valued in SULI and DOD contractor internships?

Both types of internships value strong academic performance, relevant coursework, and previous research experience. Additionally, skills in programming, data analysis, and communication are highly sought after in these internships.

How can I make the most of my SULI or DOD contractor internship?

To make the most of your internship experience, it is important to have a positive attitude, be proactive and take initiative, and network with other professionals in your field. Additionally, be open to learning new skills and be willing to take on challenging tasks. Lastly, make sure to communicate with your mentor or supervisor regularly to ensure you are meeting expectations and achieving your goals.