Suggestions for College-Level Geometry books?

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a good college-level Geometry book that goes beyond the topics learned in high school. Several recommendations are given, including Euclid plus Hartshorne's "Geometry: Euclid and Beyond," John Stillwell or David Henderson's books, Coxeter's "Geometry Revisited" and "Introduction to Geometry," and Isaacs' "Geometry for College Students."
phlip180
I am not currently taking a Geometry class, but I've always been interested in Geometry and I'm now looking for a good College-Level Geometry book. All the ones I have checked out from my school's library claim to be College-Level, but mostly talk about subjects I remember learning about in High School Geometry. Any suggestions on good Geometry books that focus on subjects beyond what you learn in High School?

Physics news on Phys.org
i recommend euclid plus hartshorne's Geometry: euclid and beyond. he teaches the college course at berkeley from those. or look on my webpage for a free set of notes from "epsilon camp"

they seem to start easy but may get harder (they end with finding the volume of a 4 dimensional ball).

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/camp2011/10.pdf

or try a book by john stillwell or david henderson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Or how about Geometry and Topology by Reid and S. ?

There's also Isaacs' Geometry for College Students. I haven't read it, but his books on abstract algebra and finite group theory are excellent, so I expect this one should be very good as well.

Coxeter's Geometry Revisited and Moise's Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint.

I also enjoyed Coxeter's Introduction to Geometry. It covers a range of topics pretty well. The prereqs for understanding this book aren't high, but somehow it gets difficult as soon as you look at the exercises.

Related to Suggestions for College-Level Geometry books?

1. What are the best college-level geometry books available?

There are many great college-level geometry books available, but some popular choices include "Geometry: A Comprehensive Course" by Dan Pedoe, "Euclidean and Non-Euclidean Geometries" by Marvin Greenberg, and "Introduction to Geometry" by Richard Rusczyk.

2. What topics should be covered in a college-level geometry book?

A good college-level geometry book should cover topics such as Euclidean geometry, non-Euclidean geometry, geometric constructions, coordinate geometry, and transformations. It should also include proofs and applications of geometry in real-world situations.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a college-level geometry book?

Yes, there are many online resources that can help supplement a college-level geometry book. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Mathplanet, and MathHelp.com, which offer free videos, practice problems, and tutorials on various geometry topics.

4. What level of math proficiency is needed to understand a college-level geometry book?

A good understanding of high school math, particularly algebra and basic geometry concepts, is usually sufficient to understand a college-level geometry book. However, some books may also require knowledge of trigonometry and calculus.

5. Are there any interactive or hands-on activities included in college-level geometry books?

Many college-level geometry books include interactive activities, such as explorations and investigations, to help students better understand the concepts. Some books may also include hands-on activities, such as paper folding or using geometry software, to enhance the learning experience.