Suggestions for Chemistry/Biochemistry Texts

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of chemistry and biochemistry textbooks. The person initiating the conversation was seeking suggestions for good textbooks to gain basic knowledge in the subject before starting their medical laboratory science program. They also mentioned their interest in the subject and their current use of textbooks such as General Chemistry by Petrucci et al., Organic Chemistry by Solomons and Fryhle, and Essential Biochemistry by Pratt and Cornely. The suggestion of Lehninger, Biochemistry by Nelson and Cox was given, but it was noted that these textbooks can be expensive. Other recommendations were also mentioned, including Voet for general Biochemistry and Morrison & Boyd for Organic Chemistry. The conversation ended with the person stating their eventual need to purchase the
scorpa
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of good chemistry/biochemistry texts that I could work through. So far my chemistry background is two undergraduate level general chemistry courses, two undergraduate level organic chemistry courses and one biochemistry course (I just finished my first year at university). I'm finishing my prerequisite courses so i can get into the medical laboratory science program where I will take lots of courses in clinical chemistry, biochemistry, medical genetics and toxicology and was hoping to maybe get some basic knowledge before I get there from other texts. I am also doing this for general interest as I find the material very interesting and fun to work through. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Oh and the texts that I have been using for my courses so far include
1) General Chemistry : Principles and Modern Applications by Petrucci, Harwood and Herring 8th Edition
2) Organic Chemistry by Solomons and Fryhle 8th Edition
3) Essential Biochemistry by Pratt and Cornely

I will continue to read through these texts as the classes I have taken have not covered all of the information in them, however I am hoping to find some other good texts to read through as well that will be more beneficial towards the courses I will encounter in medical laboratory science.

Lehninger, Biochemistry is solid (even the later editions by Nelson & Cox), but these books cost a fortune! If you've got one book already, I'd only think of picking up a copy of Lehninger if someone's selling it used for pennies. The only other general Biochem text I've heard good things about is Voet. Blackburn & Gait is good for Nucleic acid chemistry.*

Solomons' book for Organic is pretty good - I'd rate it second among the books I've been exposed to. It's a lot like Morrison & Boyd, which I liked a little better. The best person to recommend organic texts would likely be movies.

* All of this is second hand knowledge.

Last edited:
Eventually I will have to buy the Lehringer text as it is required for further biochemistry courses at my univeristy. It will be about 97 dollars used CDN from what I saw at the university bookstore, which is about how much all my books cost used. Thanks for the suggestion Gokul, if there are any more i would appreciate hearing them.

Related to Suggestions for Chemistry/Biochemistry Texts

1. What are the key differences between chemistry and biochemistry?

Chemistry is the study of matter and its properties, while biochemistry focuses on the chemical processes that occur within living organisms. Biochemistry also includes the study of biological molecules such as proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids.

2. Which topics should be covered in a basic chemistry/biochemistry textbook?

A basic chemistry/biochemistry textbook should cover topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, thermodynamics, kinetics, organic chemistry, and biochemistry specific topics such as enzymes, metabolism, and cell biology.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning chemistry/biochemistry for beginners?

Some recommended textbooks for beginners include "Chemistry" by Raymond Chang and "Biochemistry" by Jeremy Berg, John Tymoczko, and Lubert Stryer. These textbooks cover basic concepts and provide clear explanations and practice problems.

4. How can I supplement my learning from a chemistry/biochemistry textbook?

Supplement your learning by using online resources such as videos, interactive simulations, and practice quizzes. You can also join study groups or seek help from a tutor if you need additional support.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to understand chemistry and biochemistry?

A basic understanding of math is necessary for chemistry and biochemistry, as many concepts involve calculations and equations. However, most introductory textbooks provide the necessary mathematical background for students to understand these concepts. It is important to review and practice math skills as needed to fully comprehend chemistry and biochemistry concepts.