Suggestions for Chemistry 1 Self-Study Books?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's need for a good study book to brush up on basic chemistry concepts before taking Chemistry 1 in the fall. The student received suggestions for "Arihant" books, as well as "Chemical Principles: The Quest for Insight" by Atkins and "Principles of Modern Chemistry" by Oxtoby. Another person also recommends MIT's chemistry course and the solution manual for "Chemical Principles."
k1316
I will be taking Chemistry 1 in the fall for undergrad science majors and am looking for a good study book to brush up on the basics. I took chemistry in high school two years ago and don't want to be re-learning basics that I was expected to know beforehand (sig figs, conversions, etc). Any suggestions for a study book to help prepare me a little more?
Thanks for any and all help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use 'Arihant' books they're a good set of books to recollect ur chemistry knowledge! It's only a suggestion!

I strongly recommend "Chemical Principles: The Quest for Insight" by Atkins and "Principles of Modern a Chemistry" by Oxtoby! Very through, detailed, and mathematically oriented!

bacte2013 said:
I strongly recommend "Chemical Principles: The Quest for Insight" by Atkins and "Principles of Modern a Chemistry" by Oxtoby! Very through, detailed, and mathematically oriented!
I second that. It's a great book, Then you can follow MIT's course on chemistry: One of the best courses around (you really get some good and quite deep explanations)
The solution manual to Chemical principles i GREAT, and full of explanations to :)

Related to Suggestions for Chemistry 1 Self-Study Books?

What are the top 5 self-study books for Chemistry 1?

1. "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Theodore E. Brown, H. Eugene LeMay, and Bruce E. Bursten

2. "Chemistry" by Raymond Chang and Kenneth Goldsby

3. "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Nivaldo J. Tro

4. "Chemistry: The Science in Context" by Thomas R. Gilbert, Rein V. Kirss, and Natalie Foster

5. "Chemistry: A Guided Inquiry" by Richard S. Moog, John J. Farrell, and Rebecca S. Hafenstern

Which self-study book is best for beginners in Chemistry 1?

It is subjective to determine the best book for beginners as it depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. However, "Chemistry" by Raymond Chang and Kenneth Goldsby is known for its clear and concise explanations, making it a popular choice for beginners.

Do these self-study books cover all topics in Chemistry 1?

Yes, these books cover all the fundamental topics in Chemistry 1 such as matter, atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, acids and bases, and electrochemistry.

Are there any self-study books that include practice problems and solutions?

Yes, most self-study books for Chemistry 1 include practice problems and solutions to help students reinforce their understanding of the concepts. Some popular books with practice problems include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Theodore E. Brown, H. Eugene LeMay, and Bruce E. Bursten and "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Nivaldo J. Tro.

Are there any self-study books with online resources or interactive features?

Yes, many self-study books for Chemistry 1 have online resources and interactive features such as practice quizzes, animations, and simulations. Some examples include "Chemistry: The Science in Context" by Thomas R. Gilbert, Rein V. Kirss, and Natalie Foster and "Chemistry: A Guided Inquiry" by Richard S. Moog, John J. Farrell, and Rebecca S. Hafenstern.