Suggestion needed for 3rd grade physics demonstation

In summary, for a 15-minute 3rd-grade classroom presentation on physics, it is suggested to do something fun like using rubber bands and folded paper wads to make slingshots to demonstrate elasticity, energy storage and release, acceleration, and trajectories. Another idea is to crush a soda can with atmospheric pressure by boiling water and then cooling it upside down in an ice bath, which can also be related to the effects of altitude. These demonstrations will engage the students and help them learn about various concepts in physics.
Geek4Life
If you were a parent volunteer, and you were asked to do a fifteen minute 3rd-grade classroom presentation to demonstrate ONE "law of physics" or to teach one thing about physics or physics related, what would you do as a "fun" example that 3rd graders would enjoy and hopefully learn from and remember.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry too much about sticking to a single "law", as the label is mostly pointless. Just do something fun. Perhaps something with magnets?

I like using rubber bands and folded paper wads to make slingshots with our fingers.
Here we demonstrate elasticity, energy storage and release, acceleration, trajectories, and more. It's also fun.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

As a third grader, I personally found the idea that heavier things don't fall faster fascinating. Mind you, I was a complete nerd, so others might not find it as interesting. Maybe make a simple motor with a coil or wire, or make a parallel plate capacitor and get some tiny sparks in the dark?

Wire in a lighbulb to a generator to show that the generator gets harder to turn when there's a load on it. This will save ALOT of future man-hours which would otherwise be wasted on perpetual-motion "ideas".

Bobbywhy said:
I like using rubber bands and folded paper wads to make slingshots with our fingers.
Here we demonstrate elasticity, energy storage and release, acceleration, trajectories, and more. It's also fun.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Thanks for all the great ideas! I especially like the finger slingshot idea, though I'd have to clear it with the teacher. Or it might be safer to make a little catapult and show the effect of different angles, and adding more rubber bands. Perhaps a competition between two groups. But the time is limited to fifteen minutes. Hmmmm. Good ideas, thanks!

My thought is to crush a soda can with atmospheric pressure by boiling some water in it then cooling it upside down in an ice bath.

Then maybe show them this;

Last edited by a moderator:
ModusPwnd said:
My thought is to crush a soda can with atmospheric pressure by boiling some water in it then cooling it upside down in an ice bath.

Then maybe show them this;

Thanks for that video. It's awesome. I like the idea of the coke can, and I think some of the kids will relate because some of them go to a hiking spot that is about 4,000 ft above us, and if you close any empty plastic water bottle up there and bring it back down, it will partially collapse.
I can just see the kids faces when they see what happens to that tank in the video. Good suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Suggestion needed for 3rd grade physics demonstation

What is the best way to introduce physics concepts to 3rd graders?

The best way to introduce physics concepts to 3rd graders is through hands-on demonstrations and experiments. This allows students to actively engage with the concepts and make connections to real-world situations.

What are some easy physics demonstrations that can be done in a 3rd grade classroom?

There are many easy physics demonstrations that can be done in a 3rd grade classroom, such as creating simple circuits, exploring the properties of magnets, and demonstrating the effects of air pressure.

How can I make sure my 3rd grade physics demonstration is age-appropriate?

To make sure your 3rd grade physics demonstration is age-appropriate, keep the concepts simple and use materials and examples that are familiar to the students. You can also ask for feedback from other teachers or parents to ensure the activity is suitable for the age group.

What are some tips for keeping 3rd graders engaged during a physics demonstration?

To keep 3rd graders engaged during a physics demonstration, make sure the activity is hands-on, use visual aids or props, and encourage active participation through questions and discussions. You can also incorporate games or challenges to make the activity more interactive.

How can I tie in other subjects to a 3rd grade physics demonstration?

You can tie in other subjects to a 3rd grade physics demonstration by using examples and materials from different subjects. For example, you can use coins to demonstrate the concept of gravity in math, or use a balloon to demonstrate static electricity in a science and art lesson. This helps students make connections between different subjects and reinforces their learning.