Suggestion for proximity sensor?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to monitor the distance between two moving points, with a range of 0-2m and a resolution of at least 5cm. The two points will have 3D movement and cannot guarantee a specific orientation, making traditional sensors ineffective. They are seeking suggestions for simple sensors that can provide constant updates on distance, without needing to track direction. Some potential options include a multi-camera system with complex software, wired or wireless clothing, or biomotion systems used in medical and athletic industries.
cfgrs
Hello!
So, pet project. Basically, I'd like to be able to monitor the distance between two moving points, with distances varying from 0-2m or so, with a resolution of at least 5cm or so. (The actual application is to measure the distance between a person's feet while moving, running, jumping etc.) The two points will not be in a particular line (3D movement of both), and since I can't guarantee that their orientation will be controller, the usual IR or ultrasonic sensors I've seen won't work. I am allowed to strap something to each ankle.
Any simple sensors that I might want to look into that you can suggest? All I need is constant updates on the distance, I don't care about direction.

Thank you all!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A few methods here to choose from but i can't think of any budget systems:-
A multi-camera system that feeds the real-time image into a computer to work out angles speed etc then give necessary results, or a wired or wirefree clothing as used in the CGI industry to mimic the bodies motion.
Both require complex software systems as far as I am aware but you could also look into biomotion systems similar to mentioned above on how they work but are used by areas like medical (for ppl with walking problems) or by sporting designers and atheletes trying to improve on products and skill respectively.

Related to Suggestion for proximity sensor?

1. What is a proximity sensor?

A proximity sensor is a device that detects the presence or absence of nearby objects without any physical contact. It uses various technologies, such as infrared, ultrasound, or capacitive sensing, to measure the distance between the sensor and an object.

2. How does a proximity sensor work?

Proximity sensors emit a signal, such as a beam of light, and measure the time it takes for the signal to reflect back to the sensor. The time difference is used to calculate the distance between the sensor and an object. Some sensors also use the change in capacitance or magnetic field to detect objects.

3. What are the different types of proximity sensors?

There are several types of proximity sensors, including infrared sensors, ultrasonic sensors, capacitive sensors, and magnetic sensors. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

4. What are the benefits of using a proximity sensor?

Proximity sensors offer several benefits, including high accuracy, fast response time, and non-contact detection. They are also compact in size, consume low power, and can be integrated into various systems, making them ideal for automation and IoT applications.

5. What are some common applications of proximity sensors?

Proximity sensors are widely used in industries such as automotive, robotics, and manufacturing for detecting the presence of objects, monitoring the position of moving parts, and controlling machinery. They are also used in smartphones, touchscreens, and home appliances for touchless control and gesture recognition.