How a Magnetoresistive Sensor Works

In summary: UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=sslIn summary, the magnetoresistive sensor is a device that uses an external magnetic field to change the resistance of a ferromagnetic material. The resistance is highest when the current and magnetization vector are parallel, and lowest when they are at 90°. The internal magnetic vector is the net magnetic field from the randomly oriented domains in the ferromagnetic material.
AvroArrow
Hi guys I am a new member here so I am looking for feedback on the quality and clarity of this post as well as a solution to the problem. If there are any suggestions as to how I can improve the format or wording of the question I am always looking to get better.

On to the question,

I am wondering how a magnetoresistive material changes its resistance based on the angle and strength of an external magnetic field.

I have a great resource here that explains how they work.:

http://sensors-actuators-info.blogspot.ca/2009/08/magnetoresistive-sensor.html I just don't get why the resistance of the magnet is largest when the current flow and internal magnetization vector are parallel and conversely why the resistance is the smallest when the angle is 90° between the current flow and the internal magnetization vector.

If the current and internal magnetization vector are parallel, then there is no magnetic force, so shouldn't the resistance be the lowest when they are parallel? When the two are at 90° there is a result magnetic force pushing the electrons perpendicular to the flow of current which I think should increase the resistance of the material. Is it the resultant magnetic force that causes the change in resistance in these ferromagnetic materials or something else?

Also is this internal magnetic vector M the net magnetic field from the randomly oriented domains in the ferromagnetic material?

I am really just looking for a great, fundamental explanation of magnetoresistive sensors, I need some assistance in how the magnet is changing its resistance from the changing external magnetic field.

Thanks in advance guys.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How does a magnetoresistive sensor work?

A magnetoresistive sensor works by detecting changes in the magnetic field around it. It contains a thin layer of magnetic material and when a magnetic field is present, the resistance of the material changes. This change in resistance can then be measured and used to determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. What is the principle behind magnetoresistive sensors?

The principle behind magnetoresistive sensors is the magnetoresistive effect, which is the change in resistance when a magnetic field is applied. This effect is caused by the alignment of the magnetic domains within the material, which affects the flow of electrons and thus the resistance of the material.

3. How sensitive are magnetoresistive sensors?

Magnetoresistive sensors are highly sensitive and can detect even small changes in magnetic fields. They can also be designed to have different levels of sensitivity depending on the application, making them versatile for various uses.

4. What are the advantages of using a magnetoresistive sensor?

One of the main advantages of using a magnetoresistive sensor is its high sensitivity, which allows for precise detection of magnetic fields. They are also compact, durable, and can operate in a wide range of temperatures. Additionally, they do not require a power source, making them energy-efficient.

5. How are magnetoresistive sensors used in real-world applications?

Magnetoresistive sensors have a wide range of applications, including in electronic devices such as smartphones, computers, and hard drives. They are also used in automotive sensors, industrial equipment, and medical devices. They can be used for position and motion sensing, as well as in compasses and navigation systems.