Suggested Physics Books for Advanced Learners

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a career in Physics and is looking for a book that uses medium-high level mathematics. They are currently finishing college and have a strong understanding of physics topics but want to improve their understanding and critical thinking skills. They are considering the Feynman Lectures, Giancoli physics, Berkeley physics, and Ohanian physics. The suggested resources for the three main topics (mechanics, E&M, and QM) are Marion and Thorne for mechanics and Griffiths for the other two. It is also mentioned that understanding the three volumes of Feynman lectures is said to be equivalent to a Ph.D. and the individual confirms they have knowledge of calculus.
LasTSurvivoR
I am interested in Physics and i think i will cont. my career on it.I want to buy a physics book , uses considerably medium-high maths.I know all formulas.Now i am finishing colllege grade and i just know physics topics and never thought about their logic and want to understand them and think hard on them.So which book u suggest for me ?

Note : Got Feynman Lectures on pdf.

Giancoli physics?
Berkeley physics?
Ohanian physics ?

Thanks for sugg.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the 3 mainstays (mechanics, E&M, QM), many colleges use Marion and Thorne for the first and Griffiths for the other two. These have the advantage that there are solutions manuals either available or online. Putterman at UCLA once said that if you can truly understand the 3 volumes of feynman lectures, you pretty much qualify for a Ph.D. Not sure if it's true or not, though.

Do you know calculus or not?

i know calculus .

Related to Suggested Physics Books for Advanced Learners

What is the importance of reading suggested physics books for advanced learners?

Reading suggested physics books for advanced learners is crucial for deepening one's understanding of physics concepts and theories. These books are written by experts in the field and provide in-depth explanations, examples, and applications of complex physics concepts. By reading these books, advanced learners can gain a deeper understanding of physics and enhance their problem-solving skills.

How do I choose the right suggested physics book for advanced learners?

Choosing the right suggested physics book for advanced learners depends on your specific interests and goals. It is important to research and read reviews of different books to find one that aligns with your learning style and covers topics that you are interested in. You can also consult with other advanced learners or physics professors for recommendations.

Are there any recommended authors or publishers for suggested physics books for advanced learners?

There are many renowned authors and publishers in the field of physics who have written highly recommended books for advanced learners. Some of the popular authors include Richard Feynman, Brian Greene, and Leonard Susskind. As for publishers, Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, and Princeton University Press are known for publishing high-quality physics books for advanced learners.

Do I need a strong foundation in physics before reading suggested physics books for advanced learners?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in physics before diving into suggested books for advanced learners. These books assume that the reader has a basic understanding of physics concepts and principles. Without this foundation, it may be difficult to fully comprehend the material in these books and may lead to frustration.

Can I use suggested physics books for advanced learners as a replacement for formal education or a physics degree?

No, suggested physics books for advanced learners should not be used as a replacement for formal education or a physics degree. These books are meant to supplement one's education and enhance their understanding of physics. A formal education in physics provides a structured curriculum, hands-on experiments, and guidance from experts that cannot be replaced by reading books.