Subtracting mixed fractions help

In summary, a mixed fraction can be converted to an improper fraction by multiplying the whole number by the denominator and adding it to the numerator, then getting a common denominator and subtracting the fractions. The resulting improper fraction can be expressed as a mixed fraction by dividing the numerator by the denominator and using the quotient as the whole number, with the remainder as the new numerator.
botswana
Hi, I'm new. Please bear with me because I'm not familiar with the code of this forum.

I don't know how to enter a mixed fraction correctly, so I'm just going to write it out. Here is the problem:

Four and five-ninths minus 2/3

Can someone explain to me why the answer is three and eight-ninths? I know that's the answer because the textbook I'm using says so, but I haven't been able to figure out why.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would convert to improper fractions:

$4\frac{5}{9}-\dfrac{2}{3}=\dfrac{9\cdot4+5}{9}-\dfrac{2}{3}=\dfrac{41}{9}-\dfrac{2}{3}$

Now, get a common denominator:

\(\displaystyle \frac{41}{9}-\frac{2}{3}\cdot\frac{3}{3}=\frac{41}{9}-\frac{6}{9}=\frac{41-6}{9}=\frac{35}{9}\)

Now express as a mixed fraction:

$\dfrac{35}{9}=\dfrac{3\cdot9+8}{9}=3+\dfrac{8}{9}=3\frac{8}{9}$

Does that make sense?

Related to Subtracting mixed fractions help

1. What are mixed fractions?

Mixed fractions are numbers that contain both a whole number and a fraction, such as 2 1/3. They are also known as mixed numbers.

2. How do I subtract mixed fractions?

To subtract mixed fractions, you first need to convert them to improper fractions. Then, you can subtract the fractions like regular fractions by finding a common denominator and subtracting the numerators. Finally, you can simplify the resulting fraction, if needed.

3. Can I subtract mixed fractions without converting them?

No, you cannot subtract mixed fractions without converting them to improper fractions. This is because the mixed fractions are made up of both a whole number and a fraction, so their values cannot be directly compared.

4. What do I do if the denominators are different when subtracting mixed fractions?

If the denominators are different when subtracting mixed fractions, you need to find a common denominator by finding the lowest common multiple (LCM) of the two denominators. Then, you can convert both fractions to have the same denominator and subtract them as usual.

5. How do I know if my answer is correct when subtracting mixed fractions?

You can check if your answer is correct by converting it back to a mixed fraction and simplifying it. Then, you can compare it to the original mixed fractions to see if they are equivalent.